Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Transmission fault service light just came on then the car…

Customer Question
Transmission fault service light...

Transmission fault service light just came on then the car refused to shift forwards/shifts erratically

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

I do not have either.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Ford Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Ford?

2013 Ford Escape with the turbo boost engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not. I am going to try to find a way to get it in to a shop tomorrow.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just got a notification that the "engine coolant" is low

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd start by taking a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

and also check the level of the engine coolant in the header tank, you can top up with water for now if you have no coolant but when you get the chance use some pre-mix to get the correct concentration back

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't gone through what you said to do yet, but I got an error code read of P0731 if that helps narrow the response any. I also figured out that my engine coolant low is a faulty sensor.

Hello

that code is related to engine speed, which is often calculated against the transmission speed sensor to determine gear ratio and torque converter slip. If the calculation does not match the desired value, the Diagnostic Trouble Code is set

so the 1st thing to do after checking the oil and electrical connections is to locate the VSS ( vehicle speed sensor) and replace it as it must be faulty to generate this code

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer