Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1992 Ford F250 460 engine fouling plugs on one bank.

Customer's question: The truck only runs on one side and fouling the plugs on the other. What can casue this?

Mechanic's answer: Went over repairs made by the customer and pointed out how to test the fuel injectors properly on the vehicle.

Read full interaction below »

I have a 1992 F250 with the 460. It’s fouling plugs on the left bank and only firing on the right bank. I’m also getting fuel in the oil. No codes or check engine light. I have put new plugs, wires, ignition module, checked timing, ran compression test, replaced all fuel injectors, replaced fuel pressure regulator and shot all wiring on the engine harness. Fuel pressure to the rail is 40psi. Compression test was around 115 on all cylinders.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

No check engine light at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’m fixing it myself. Everything I’ve done is in the first message

3/20/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, fuel pressure is 40 psi with the fuel pressure regulator vacuum supply connected? Do you have injector pulse on the side of the engine that isnt firing or are the injectors lit up all the time?

fuel pressure is 40psi with vacuum hose connected. Yes I have injector pulse, I check each one with a node light

Ok its 10 pounds too high the fuel pressure, I know you said you replaced the fuel pressure regulator. Did you replace the fuel injectors with the correct ones? Does the fuel pressure leak down if checked with a fuel gauge when the engine is off?

I replaced the injectors with aftermarket bwd pretty sure they are correct. Haven’t checked for leak down with the engine off but I did pull the fuel rails up with injectors installed and checked for leak down with key on

This model doesnt have anything to hold the injectors in place, so if you cycled the key to on they should blow out of the fuel rail. Since its loading up with fuel and not firing on the one side of the engine, make sure you have a good blue spark on all the spark plug wires to that side to rule out an ignition issue. Check for a fuel pressure leakdown using a gauge and verify that you got the correct injectors to be on the safe side.

I will check in the morning and get back to you. Thanks

Very good, it sounds like a fuel system problem from your description. Its unusual for it to take out one whole side of the engine and not store codes, but if the electrical system is working, id lean towards injector issues which could be defective or the incorrect ones, causing too much flow. The higher fuel pressure points to a fuel pressure regulator or no vacuum to the regulator, causing the higher pressure but that shouldnt cause 4 cylinders not to fire

initially I thought I had the issue fixed because I found #8 injector cracked and all them were really clogged on the tips. After replacing everything stated before the truck ran great for about 100 miles and then all of the sudden I lost the left bank again.

Has the truck sat for a period of time? Have you checked the fuel quality/taken a sample?

No the truck hasn’t sat to my knowledge. Both tanks were filled with fresh fuel after the repair but no I haven’t taken a sample

Ok, thats the only thing that could cause an issue if there are no codes other than defective parts or fuel contamination.

Ok I will double check the injectors in the morning and take a fuel sample

Very good, let me know what you find and if you need more help.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
I found both tanks are rusted out bad. I’m replacing both fuel tanks and the filter and it should be good after that. Thanks for the help