Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2013 escape with the 1.6 turbo with out the cht…

I have a 2013 escape...
I have a 2013 escape with the 1.6 turbo with out the cht sensor. I am getting a p1299 overheating code I have replace the coolent sensor still the same scanner does not show a hight temp it does this as soon as I start it. if I unplug the coolent sensor the over heating message goes away but will not release the throttle
3/20/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks any ideas

I am fairly certain there is a recall on your vehicle related to this concern. Have you received any notices on that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ford dealership intown says there isn't one

That may be true. Do you mind giving me the VIN to check?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
im at work right now I took them the vin the told me ther was a door latch recall
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my wife is getting the vin

Ok. There probably is that recall. if you clear the code with scan tool does the check engine light go off?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no it will not clear any codes

What are all the codes you have in the engine computer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
p1299 and b cam sensor high voltage

Alright. I am not sure on this one. I will open this question up to the other experts to see if they have some better info on this. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1fmcu0gx2dua54656
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, give me a few minutes to review some information with your vin number

Ok has any work been done to the cooling system that it has been drained and refilled and now this overheating is happening per the check engine light? The actual temperature gauge goes to full hot but your scan tool says its normal temps?

Which code is setting for camshaft B, the actual code number?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hand got to hot in a matter of seconds on first start sensor is reading the right temps have been getting a low coolent light about once a month the code number I don't remember but I remember the high voltage for camshaft b

Ok more than likely if it isnt low on coolant you may have a bad coolant stand pipe. When they performed the 13S12 recall to modify the cooling system, the added this coolant pipe behind the right front headlamp. The low coolant level sensor is part of the stand pipe. This sensor may have failed and needs to be replaced and it will put it into limp mode P1299 if it thinks it is low on coolant. A scan tool will show if there is a fault with the sensor. Also take a good look at the water pump. These are known for leaks and may be difficult to see if it is leaking if it is low on coolant.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the car has no leaks I was thinking the motor had mirco cracks and that was where the coolant was going this pipe I looked at it to day didt know what it was called ok if the pump was bad how would the ecu know at first start it didn't have flow car sits in the shop no drips so your leaning toward the stand pipe

Yes Im thinking its a defective stand pipe. Thats what the ecu uses to check the system and part of the cooling system protection upgrade that was done when the 13S12 recall was performed and the ecu was reprogrammed to add this sensor and enable its protection software. You might not see it drip, you would have to check inside the pulley for any residue, its difficult to see it seep out of the cap on the front of the water pump. It would be a very small leak, and would cause the coolant level to be low. A quick overheat like this is electrical, which is why im leaning towards the stand pipe. When I've done these recalls, ive had a couple of brand new ones that were bad and that is exactly what they did.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
il try it tomorrow if my dealer has it instock thanks

You are welcome if you need more help or information let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating. They may need to order the part, if they are confused looking it up, let the parts person know its part of the 13S12 recall.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if this work you getting a dang 6 star lol thanks

Lol, sounds good. make sure the cooling system is full of coolant and you have good heat when replacing the pipe. its a pain to get these systems bled out and not have any air pockets which would also cause a p1299 code but not within a short time of starting the engine when cold.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, just checking out to see if you got the new standpipe and if you are still having issues

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans