Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I'm the maintenance supervisor of a fleet of 70 E450 Fords…

I'm the maintenance supervisor...

I'm the maintenance supervisor of a fleet of 70 E450 Fords that have a Bus body on them. 11 of these buses are dead on the back row due to exhaust gases leaking into the cooling system causing high pressure in the cooling system. This has been verified by the local dealer and I purchased the same test kit they use to diagnose some of our buses. I've done all of the maintenance per the Ford schedule and I have to say that this problem is very expensive to fix. we've had a couple buses repaired by the dealer replacing the engine. $$$$$$. I need help!

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been overheating? Have you noticed any leaks?

The coolant goes out the tailpipe, or the exhaust enters the cooling system, or both. These vehicles are not drive able because they overheat and expel the coolant out. you can pressure test the cooling system and there are no external leaks. These buses all have over 175K miles on them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

They are E450 Fords.

3/19/2018
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

Are these 6.0 .6.4 or 6.7 ?

I'm sorry I forgot to tell you what engine it is. All of our buses are Fords, E450 with a 6.8 liter V10

They sound like head gasket failure. Why not fix what you have instead of replacing engines?

The agency I work for doesn't want us getting that deep into engines. I've talked to him about just doing the head gasket replacement ourselves but our facility is a maintenance facility and the lack of man power is another issue. Myself and the person that works under me are more than qualified to replace head gaskets on an engine. My question is the same as my bosses, what is causing these head gaskets to fail this way? What can be done to prevent this from happening.

Head gaskets fail from overheat . Either .thermostat failure or a fan clutch failure

That's a fact. Like I said before, we've replaced the coolant in these buses hoping to fend off this problem at the 100 K increment that is recommended by Ford, and I can say with little doubt that these buses, that are in question have ever been overheated. The fan clutch can be heard every time the engine is started. When they are in for service we wash out the front of the radiator as needed. We get our coolant from True North. I feel like I've done every thing that I should have done to maintenance this issue. Frustrating!

Would need to pull the head s .And check for pitting and warpage...could be a defective multi layer layer gasket design. But most head gasket failures occur from a over heat condition

Thanks for listening John, Have a good night

Hope you can rate my service 5 star

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy