Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 f250 6.4 has a problem with blowing the #35 fuse

2008 f250 6.4 has...

2008 f250 6.4 has a problem with blowing the #35 fuse repeatedly. This then shuts off my parking sensors, 4 wheel engagement and my tow/haul switch. Someone had mentioned a faulty ground strap? I do not know the location of the ground strap or straps. I have changed the sensors. When it all started about a week ago it would stay working for 5 to 15 seconds before blowing the fuse now it just blows it as soon as I turn the ignition on. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

Yes, 10amp.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the parking sensors and pulled the tow/ haul cover and unplugged the tow haul switch. It still blew the fuse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. that should do it.

3/19/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** me a few minutes to look your question over, thanks.

Ok I am looking at fuse 35 and it doesn't show any of the items you have listed, is this fuse inside the vehicle or under the hood?

Ok I found the fuse you were talking about, the wiring diagram is not even close on this one, I had to look at owners manual. The most common spot for this fuse to short to ground is the gear shift lever where the wiring for the tow haul switch is routed, the wire goes into the lever and shorts to ground there. I would pull back the column covers to access the shifter lever and take a look at the wiring, or disconnect the lever connector and see if the fuse still blows.

If you have any more questions just ask, all I ask is when you are finished, please take the time to rate my service today, as this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott

You can always ask follow up questions after rating, thanks Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
tried disconnecting tow haul switch with covers off and still blew the fuse.

Try disconnecting the vacuum pump and see if it blows a fuse. Let me know, thanks Scott

Here is a diagram to help you see what is on this circuit for fuse 35. Click here

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was the vacuum pump. Once unplugged it did not blow the fuse. Ordered the pump and should have it by Thursday.
Thanks Scott

G​ood deal you found it. Finding shorts can be difficult at times, process of elimination, thanks, Scott

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician