Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford transit 63 plate stops intermitantly either ticking…

Customer Question
Hi ford transit 63...

Hi ford transit 63 plate stops intermitantly either ticking over or when running which looses all power including steering ect which is quite dangerous. does not list any codes whatsoever then will restart as if nothing has happened might not do it for a few days then do it a few times ect

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Noise ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Transit yourself? What have you tried so far?

No fault codes so its hard to know where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have changed the egr unit no change, put a new ignition switch on no change

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/19/2018
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'm assuming that this is one of the diesel engine types

so if you haven't already then it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

I'd also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.
then check the condition of the air filter and replace if in any doubt

If this is all OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

I have changed fuel filter. changed egr. Changed ignition switch. Still the same just stopped then restarts. I would of thought if the issues was with what you have mentioned it would of put the management light on and stored a code

Hello

the things I've said to check are largely mechanical items and may not necessarily turn on a fault light

as you don't have a fault light on, this is why I suggest them

other more electrical based possibles are a faulty ECU relay , a cracked ECU fuse or a poorly connected / corroded ground connection

hi ok thanks i will let you know
regards

understood

just get back to me on this post

Hi Matt tried everything and still same problem
cheers

OK

next step is to check if the ECU still has 12V when the issue occurs

if you measure across the ECU fuse pins whilst your assistant tries to start the engine this will show if the 12V is being interuppted

if it is then I'd next replace the fuse, relay with new parts and also check the state of the engine earth connections, especially the small wires that run out of the engine bay wiring loom and are secured to the engine with ring terminals and small bolts

I will try all tomoz and get bk to you

Understood