Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Overheats then can shut it off for couple minutes and it…

Customer Question
Overheats then can shut...

Overheats then can shut it off for couple minutes and it iiiiiiis normal

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Check it all the time

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2003 f150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Really just making sure its full of coolant

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just that i took and bought new cap 4 radiator

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/19/2018
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd begin by replacing the thermostat and whilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.

If you still have a problem then check that the water pump impeller / turbine isn't spinning on its shaft. You should be able to achieve this by removing the bottom hose from the engine and use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the water pump impeller blades, whilst your assistant turns the engine over by hand.
If you can stop the impeller with slight pressure from the screwdriver the pump needs replacing.

Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)

I'd also suggest ensuring that you've got all the air out of the system as this sort of episode can leave pockets of air trapped and prevent the coolant from circulating properly.

So check that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked

If these are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from cold with the heater set to full hot

As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to help displace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built into the top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water

Once the engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool

Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer