Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Steering very stiff at low speed (really hard work) the car…

Customer Question
Steering very stiff at...

Steering very stiff at low speed (really hard work) the car is 11 years old 65k miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

No how would I do that? (the steering is the hydraulic type ie pre 2009

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 Ford?

2006 2lt petrol

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far this is my first port of call ie i haven't experienced such an issue before

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car is drivable but very stiff at low sppeeds

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/19/2018
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Does the steering make any noises when the engine is running or when turning the steering from left to right at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no - no noises other than normal

I apologize for the delay.

O.k., if there are no whining noises this won't be a low fluid issue.Most common is the power steering pump itself fails to where at low speeds it isn't creating enough fluid pressure and causes this fault here.

You would need to have the power steering pump pressure tested to see if it is low to see if the pump needs to be replaced for sure.

What I have done in the past is locate the pressure hose leading off of the pump and find a rubber section of this pressure hose and at idle take a pair of channel locks and slowly start to crimp off the pressure line.If the channel locks kick back on you hard then the pump is good but if there is no kick back or no resistance then the pump is weak needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok makes sense - although the steering is stiff it seems drivable once speed is up ie 10mph + am I ok to drive it to the garage to ge tit fixed ie about 10/15 miles? My apologies i haven't use this service before so I didn't know I need to rate your reply which I will do

As long as your not leaking any fluid and it does have some power steering you should be o.k. to drive it to get looked into and repaired.But if the steering is stiff even when driving at off idle speeds or if there is a leak then I recommend to have it towed to be looked into and repaired.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician