Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Several electrical problems, local mechanic hasn't been

Customer Question
Several electrical problems, local...

Several electrical problems, local mechanic hasn't been successful in fixing. The one I'm most interested in fixing now is a PATS issue (theft light is blinking) which I can eventually clear by resetting the system w/ key in ignition 90 seconds. But I'm trying to make it so that I don't have to keep resetting. How do you bill for time on an issue like this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?

I believe the fuses are good but am not 100% sure which to check more carefully. The local mechanic has put 2 new PCMs in to "fix" a more serious check engine light. I have disconnected the battery for a few hours following the new PCM being installed.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '90 Ford?

2005 Excursion v10

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Excursion yourself? What have you tried so far?

At this point I am working on it myself, because it seems the mechanic has tried everything but I'm not confident in their diagnosis. It seems to me like the issue is wiring. I've tried turning the ignition "on" 90 seconds, taking the key out for 60, then turning on. This seems to make the Ex start every time for a while. After a couple hours, maybe a bit longer, I have to go back and reset it again. I did swap a few relays but that was yesterday and I'm not confident if that has fixed anything. Following this issue, I have a p0315 error that's been even more vexing. But I'd like to start with the easier and more clear one first, which is clearly the PATS issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's about it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Also it appears after the rapid blinking stops (45 seconds) that there is a "1 and 6" flashed via the blinker.
3/19/2018
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 6 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** installing the new ecm, did you have the key programmed into the computer, with a scanner?