Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

No power to starter, heads up display, locks or internal…

No power to starter...

No power to starter, heads up display, locks or internal lighting. Power seats work, power mirrors work... Battery shows to be charged. Before I checked battery I assumed it was dead and tried to jump from wife's truck. No power to any of those systems at that time either.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2011 Ford Edge

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?

I hope to fix myself but I'm at lose right now. I have never had a car or truck I could not jump start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I looked at fuse diagram but I do not see one that controls all those systems. However, my thought is that it may be one of the mail fuses under the hood. Before I went that route I was searching online to see if it was a common issue or if someone else had found a solution.

When I first tried to jump start the Edge this morning it was getting power, However, it was insufficient to turn over. I waited a couple minutes for the battery to receive a good charge and then tried again. That is when this issue appeared.
3/19/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Do you have a test light or multimeter? we will need one of these to continue checking the issue

I have a test light. and I just verified that it is working

ok underhood check all your main fuses 30 amps and up with key on,

Found a 30 amp fuse that appears to be bad. Trying to send you pics but not sure if they are going through.
Fuse box.jpgFuse box.jpgFuse test.jpgFuse test.jpg30 amp fuse.jpg30 amp...jpg30 amp fuse close up.PNG30 amp...PNG

you should have power on one side of that is there any? even with it removed?

Didn't think there was, but I just went out and double checked.No power on either side.
sir, that is with the fuse removed.

ok lloking into what that us now, does the starter click at all? have you check power to starter when starting?

No clicking. No front or rear lights, overhead lights, dash lights or any noise when door is opened or when the key is inserted and/or turned on... Seat and mirrors still have power.

ok check the run start relay in the pic its number 1 swap it with 2 and see if she starts up, that relay powers on the fuse your checking, if nothing happens we will need to check the relay signals on that

To be clear you are talking about swapping the two relays on the left hand side of the box that are right above the fuses. In the pic they appear to be upside down and to the right of them is a single relay. Is this correct?

the link never sent

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z86xzzg250i55j9/monday2.docx?dl=0

No change. Same systems still without power. No power to either side of fuse fins.

ok at 85 and 86 terminals with someone cycling key to start position check for power and ground on the relay marked one in the diagram

I'm not sure what "85 and 86 terminals" refer to exactly. However, I removed #1 relay and with the key turned on checked for power. The top left and the bottom are both hot.

there should be terminals marked on the relay, if you send a picture of the bottom of the relay ill show you want terminals to check

ok 1 and 2 will be your signal power and ground 3 is your power in which is good then, so 2 should be ground then check that when cycling key

Do you have a recommendation on how to check the grounds? I inserted a small screwdriver into #5 and then into #2, checked with test light and neither responded. Even when touching the positive terminal on the battery.

just test light on positive terminal to test point, let me know for sure no ground and ill see what to check next

No light when connected to positive terminal and inserted in #3 or #5.

what about 2

Sorry meant #2 not #3...

ok be right back

is there a security light on ?

Security light? On the dash?
I’m not sure what security light you are referring to?

if its in security mode there will be a anti theft light on a little car with a lock on it

As with the rest of the interior lights, the security light (car with lock) does not illuminate at any time.
Are we at an impasse? Do you have any further suggestions to correct this issue?

sorry ive been having internet issues, and no impass im looking for the tests to send you next

OK here is the removal process of the bcm, pull all connectors and check them for issues, if everything is ok and after plug back in you have nothing we will need to connect the vehicle to a scanner to see whats not communicating

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs7yfpm9u2icfsq/monday4.docx?dl=0

My uncle has a scanner. I'll have him come by and check the codes tomorrow. I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for you continued assitance.

your very welcome, if you can access the can bus system let me know what the computer is seeing

My uncle ended up having to work late today. He will be by in the morning and I will update you then. Thank you.

sounds good ill be around

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
The scanner did not show any codes. At my uncle's insistence, we attempted to jump the Edge again, this time with a Commercial battery jumper that he owns. We were successful, the car started right up. However, the sync system and other features failed to respond. We ran a full test on the 1 1/2-year-old battery and it showed to have a bad cell. We replaced the battery under warranty, and the fuse we discussed previously, and everything seems to be working properly. Thank you for your assistance. The issue is now resolved.