Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Well first off I slid off a road and smashed into a concrete…

Customer Question
Well first off I...

Well first off I slid off a road and smashed into a concrete wall going about 45mph. It cracked the rim in half and did some cosmetic damage but once the spare was on it was fine to drive on. Im still on the spare tire now front passenger side is where this happened. But the vehicle pulls a bit to the left now and theres a low tone squeal/grinding noise that occurs when I apply some slight throttle from a stop. And evey now and again I can hear a knocking sound coming from under the car when I let off the gas. Also when I try to use the Automanual downshift from drive to 3rd gear the car makes the grinding noise and shakes and starts to swerve a bit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

2007 ford explorer limited 4.6l 4WD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took the wheel off to see if anything was bent or broken and there wasn't anything noticeable to me. I even compared it to the driver side. The driveshaft and the CV joints look ok as well as the boots that cover them. I did notice that there was some fluid around where the Cv half joint meets up with the trans. but its dry and is not leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope thats all I got

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/19/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

When you have an impact hard enough to crack a rim you have also done some other damage to the suspension, steering or driveline. Some of your swerving or pulling can be related to the spare tires circumference not the same as the other tires on the vehicle.

I would start with checking for a bent knuckle or damaged wheel bearing. Then see if the front differential shows any signs that it has moved by looking at the mounting bolts. The knock/grind noise is likely a damaged front differential or axle shaft CV joint. The swerve when gearing down can be related to the alignment now out of specs and the tire circumference. I recommend removing the front driveshaft and take it for a drive to see if any of the issues are now gone.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician