Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2013 Ford Fusion Energi engine noise when it turns on.

Customer's question: What would cause an engine noise when the engine starts on my hybrid vehicle?

Mechanic's answer: Told customer what to inspect on the engine for noise sources and supplied a Technical Service bulletin for a similar noise issue.

Read full interaction below »

When the gas engine kicks on there is a loud high pitched whine

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Good on gas. Starts fine. This is a hybrid

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2013 fusion Energi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far. Just wondering if this is a serious issue or just an annoyance

3/19/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, does the noise only happen when at a stop or while driving? Does the noise follow engine rpms of vehicle speed? No warning lights are on?

I only notice it when I’m stoped and the engine kicks on to charge battery. It’s loud
No warning lights.

Ok can you post the 17 digit vin number for the vehicle so I can run a check based on when the vehicle was built? Its a whine from the engine or from the transmission?

I don’t know if it’s the engine or transmission
It’s a 2013. I do t have the vin available at the moment
3fa6popuxdr300025
Found it

Ok, since it is when the engine kicks on I would suspect maybe a problem with one of the pullies for the belt such as the belt tensioner or one of the items driven by the belt. There are no specific technical bulletins for this type of issue unless it has a warning lamp on and storing a diagnostic trouble code. But there is one tsb for the transmission making noise which may or may not be the issue. You will need to localize the area to see if it is engine or transmission related.

TSB 17-0039

HF35 TRANSMISSION - THUMPING/RUBBING OR GRINDING NOISE - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 15-AUG-2015

Publication Date: April 20, 2017

FORD: 2013-2016 C-MAX, Fusion

LINCOLN: 2013-2016 MKZ

This article supersedes TSB 16-0105 to update the Service Procedure, Part List and Service Labor Time Standards.

ISSUE:

Some 2013-2016 Fusion, MKZ and 2013-2016 C-MAX vehicles equipped with an HF35 transmission and built on or before 15-Aug-2015 may exhibit a thumping/rubbing or grinding noise coming from the transmission. The noise may be present in all gear ranges including neutral when the vehicle is moving, but will not be present when the vehicle is stationary or in Park.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Check the vehicle build date. Was the vehicle built on or before 15-Aug-2015?
    1. Yes - proceed to Step 2.
    1. No - this article does not apply. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01 for normal diagnostics.
  1. With the vehicle at operating temperature, road test the vehicle and lightly apply the brakes from 48-16 Km/h (30-10 MPH).
    1. The engine will shut-off on deceleration when the vehicle is at operating temperature.
  1. Is a thumping/rubbing or grinding noise present?
    1. Yes - proceed to Step 4.
    1. No - this article does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01 for normal diagnostics.
  1. Remove the transmission assembly. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01.
  1. Remove the damper housing and transfer shaft assembly. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01.
  1. Inspect the damper housing for transfer shaft contact or wear. Is contact or wear present on the damper housing or transfer shaft?
    1. Yes - proceed to Step 10.
    1. No - proceed to Step 7.
  1. Inspect differential and transfer shaft bearings. Is there any noticeable roller bearing damage? (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - 17-0039
    1. Yes - proceed to Step 10.
    1. No - proceed to Step 8.
  1. Install transfer shaft kit. Follow kit repair and assembly procedure.
  1. Reinstall the transmission assembly. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01. Proceed to Step 11.
  1. Install a new transmission assembly. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01.
  1. Flush transmission fluid cooling system. Refer to WSM, Section 307–02.

Im thinking this is related to an engine noise.If the ac is on, try shutting it off and see if the noise is still present. If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you!