Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1997 powerstroke when driving down the road at any given…

Customer Question
My 1997 powerstroke when...

My 1997 powerstroke when driving down the road at any given time you never know when. It acts like it runs out of fuel and the check engine light will come one and it takes off running again. Now when you shut the truck off it will start up just fine and check engine light goes off

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on untill you shut it off. It does not blink

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 Ford?

XLT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

If i can i will do it. I have changed the cam shaft sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No not at this time

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
3/19/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 5 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Have you hooked up a scan tool to see which codes are stored?

I have and it doesn't leave any codes

Do you use a power programmer on the tuck?

How often does this occur?

It happens at least once every time I take it on a trip to another town. Usually it doesn't do it when I use it in town
Would the icp sensor cause this? This afternoon I found oil on the electrical connection

Many valves and sensors could be to blame for this. Yes, an incorrect reading ICP from resistance issues dues to a leaking sensor into the connector can cause this. You may want to carry your scan tool with you to try and get the codes before restarting. It is most likely erasing the codes from PCM KAM circuit issue.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

I have had my scan tool with me. And still won't pick any codes up while it is running bad or before I restart it. So far that tool hasn't helped at all

Are you able to monitor the ICP pressure during the event?

Not during the event. But when I disconnected the pigtail from the sensor the pigtail had oil on it

At this time I would clean out the pigtail and replace the sensor.

I ordered another sensor. It won't be here until Thursday

Thanks for the update