Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My right rear window will not go up only down at that door…

my right rear window will...
my right rear window will not go up only down at that door and at drivers main switch it will do neither up or down
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** vehicle do you have? Year and model Ford? Thanks

01 excursion

O​k thanks let me look at a wiring diagram.

Ok by looking at a diagram it looks like your problem is either in the drivers master window switch, or possibly a broken wire in the flex joint at the door. Do you have a test light to check for power while pushing on the switch?

I do,
I have so far tested the ground at the master switch by jumping the blue wire in the front window master switch plug with stripe, (forget the color of stripe) to the ground also in the front window master switch plug, and it was good. I tested at the right rear switch by jumping the constant hot on the rear switch plug to the ground on the rear switch plug and it was good.
By performing the blue wire test all that did was tell me ground was good at the master switch plug.
I pulled the boot back as best as I could in the drivers door and the right rear passenger door and looked for a busted wire but it is very difficult to see in there but by all accounts I could not find a broken wire.
If there was some way to test the master switch for the right rear window that would be good because I think this system appears to be wired in series because when I pulled the plug out of the master door switch for the rear windows, the drivers side rear window quit working also, once I plugged it back in the drivers side rear window worked against still nothing on the passenger side rear. FYI the front windows work fine.

O​k, good information, take the test light and press the right rear switch down at the master window switch on left door, and check for voltage on the yellow with black and on the red with black. Let me know what happens with the light.

ok going to be a few minutes I have to pull it all apart again I had already put it back together so I could drive it while I was waiting to hear, be back soon

Ok no hurry

ok grounding in the master switch for rear windows and testing the wires you requested, push UP switch red w/black 12.4V
pushing down switch yellow w/black 12.4 volts

Ok do this same test both ways up and down, however check both the red/black and the yellow/black for power while pressing down, then test for power on both wires, pressing up. I am thinking there is a circuit that is not being grounded by that switch. Let me know what you have.

put tester on Red w/black wire pushed UP switch got 12.4, leaving tester on same wire pushed window DOWN no voltage present,
put tester on yellow w/ black wire pushed UP switch no voltage present, leaving tester on same wire pushed DOWN switch got 12.4 volts

Nope, check both wires while pressing up and let me know what you have, then check both wires when pressing down. Press UP check the red with black, then check the yellow with black keep pressing up. Press down, check the red/ black and then the yellow with black keep pressing down. Let me know what you have

holding switch in window UP position moving tester from red and yellow wire only red wire has voltage, holding switch in window DOWN and moving tester from red and yellow wire only yellow wire has voltage
Held switch on during both tests

Ok good, looks like that master switch is working ok, now I am thinking that right rear switch isn't working right. Can you swap the left and the right rear door window switches, or do you have someone to press the button while you test at the right rear switch?

I can get someone to help again,
I have already swapped the left and right rear switches and the drivers side switch which works up and down in back when place in the passenger side only goes down,
when I put the passenger side switch which would only go down not up, on the drivers side the window went up and down no problem????
lets test it anyways again just so you know

Must have a bad wire then since the switches were swapped and problem remains.

the process we did up front removes the master switch from the equation?
then how would I test the wires to see which one is not working
in order to get the window back up I took long alligator leads and ran them to the battery, depending which way I placed them between the 2 pins going to the motor one way raised it and the other way lowered it.

Go to the right rear switch and test those same color wires having someone push on the master switch and let me know if there is power on the wires. Then we test power through that right rear switch afterwards if this test passes.

can I do this test with the motor unplugged so I don't have to jump it back up?
okay holding the master in up position the red wire has voltage and the yellow wire does not, holding the master in the up position neither wire has voltage

Actually no, then it would open the circuit and the testing wouldn't work out.. I think the yellow with black could be open somewhere

Should your first statement read down?

ok plugged motor in and holding mast switch in up position both wires have power holding master switch in down position neither wire has power
the window didn't go down like I was afraid of because I forgot the master switch wouldn't raise or lower it only the back seat switch makes it go down sorry about that

Ok that yellow wire is open between the drivers door and right rear door, the most common spot would be the driver side flex joint since that drivers door is opened more than the right rear. I would pull that boot back and try to find that yellow wire and see if it is broke.

Ok I will do that, would it be possible to resume this tomorrow some time it is getting dark and I am outside, I will attempt some looking tonight but I may miss something in the lower light. flashlight is all I have

Sounds good.

If you have any more questions just ask, all I ask is when you are finished, please take the time to rate my service today, as this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott

Y​ou can continue to ask follow up questions after rating.

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
no problem and thanks at least I feel like I'm heading somewhere with this. I'll be in touch

Thank you!

I ran a jumper from the main switch across the cab to the rear switch and the switch worked up and down so I did continuity test at front door but it was good so I did one on the rear door and it was broken, yellow wire w/black stripe. thanks for the help

Awesome you found it, thanks for the reply back.