Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Burning holes through upper intake manifold...4 times. 2005…

Customer Question
Burning holes through upper...

Burning holes through upper intake manifold...4 times

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2005 Ford Taurus. I have heard maybe clogged caralytic converter, but which one...there are 2.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?

? Scoped out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

No mechanics. When I bought the car it was patched. Patch disappeared. Repatched... disappeared. Bought new upper intake manifold...in 1 1/2 weeks it burnt through.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Apparently this us a common occurrence, will they recall it?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
3/18/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

This is normally a restricted converter and it is normally the one that the EGR tube is connected to. The converter restricts and the engine forces hot exhaust up the EGR tube into the valve and overwhelms it. This packs super hot exhaust into the manifold. There is no recall for this concern since it is not a part that failed from a design or manufacturing issue.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris