Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2003 f-250 headlights stay on even after I removed the…

My 2003 f-250 headlights...

My 2003 f-250 headlights stay on even after I removed the switch. Also smells like burnt wires in cab but find no burnt wire

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

No. I felt the bulbs and fuses must be ok if they are on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I removed the switch and removed the dash board to look for melted wires

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, I had to replace the left rear brake light and two weeks later it stopped working again

3/18/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Do you have daytime running lamp feature on this truck?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but they have never worked since I got it five years ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would love to use the phone but I’m on disability and don’t have the money

ok so next you will want to check the VSM module, in it it carries the headlamp relay, im getting the location now

This location is actually on the drivers side, its deceiving with the picture

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5ooqpzqrtub1mk/sun4.docx?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I check this? I have mechanical experience but mostly on older vehicles

I suspect the burning smell may be coming from there I would pull that first and make sure nothing is burnt, and if ok swap with a like relay and try the system again

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** try that and get back to you a little bit later

your very welcome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just read some scary news. It says that I have to have Ford reprogram my vms module. Is this true?

if the module needs to be replaced yes it will need to be done by ford but you can bring you own part to save money

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician