Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have the same issue...P1537. the runners are in the wide…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have the same issue...P1537. the runners are in the wide open position, however you can move them they are not physically stuck. changed some crumbly vacuum lines. thought the bushings connecting the rods may have come out but that was not the case either. there is a vacuum line coming in the top of the actuators as well as an electrical connector coming in the side. so are these vac. driven or electrical?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

98 f150 4.2 l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Attempting, so far as stated above. found a hole in a vac. line and another crumbly one. But that hasn't changed anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How can you verify that the actuators work or should work and don't need replacing

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
3/18/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

They are moved by vacuum and electrical is what controls when to and not to and the amount of vacuum.

Vacuum lines, bushing, or the solenoid failure are the normal faults for this code.

Can you do these tests https://www.dropbox.com/s/ziw3rog07imylb5/HU15.pdf?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

I sent you a follow up response to your first answer, but you just repeated your first answer. Is there anything else that could cause a loss of vacuum and cause this problem? EVR solenoid? EGR Valve? DPFE sensor. Once again where is the IMRC sensor

I responded to your other post as well. The EGR nor EVR affects the IMRC. The IMRC is under the intake.

While the EGR, EVR etc. may not have anything to do with the IMRC, the vacuum line running from the IMRC seems to tie into
their vacuum lines somewhere along their route. Since a vacuum leak could be a cause, that's why I asked about them. I'm a very distrusting person when it comes to auto shops and would rather do the work myself if I can. I'm a machinist by trade and have worked on my own cars since I was a teenager, 45+ yrs. I now have a rough idle condition as well after it warms up which has me puzzled.

A rough idle issue can be from a vacuum leak. Do you have a scan tool that can read the short term fuel trims?

No but I'm beginning to think I need to get one. Do you have one you recommend?

It all depends on how much you want to spend. The bosch ones are good as well as the auto engineuity.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris