Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My air conditioning coolant runs low yearly last 3 years.

Always runs low during the...
My air conditioning coolant runs low yearly last 3 years. Always runs low during the winter. Have had it inspected and spent money on detecting and repairing leaks. I recharged it today, inspected for leaks, and found a greenish fluid leaking from under my car. I'm having trouble identifying the part that it's leaking from. Not sure if it is related to the air conditioner as the fluid looks almost like engine coolant. I have a video and photos available to provide for reference.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review this information and get right with you. If you have your VIN please send it to me.

Please upload your pictures so I may be able to see them please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1FAHP36N29W185333
Capture.PNGCapture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture2.PNG20180317_135208.jpg2018031...jpg20180317_135218.jpg2018031...jpg

Thank you for the pictures. The green you are seeing is the dye in the refrigerant mixed with oil from the A/C system. It is running out of the evaporator drain. The evaporator in your A/C system is leaking. That is what will need to be replaced to stop the system from leaking.

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's bad news, I just spent a bunch on having the evaporator replaced about 2 years ago. Would you be able to provide or point me towards instructions on how to replace the evaporator? Also, any ideas about what could cause that to happen twice in such a short period?
If you had it done less than two years ago and used Ford parts it will still be under warranty. Ford parts have a 2yr unlimited mile warranty.This is not an easy do it yourself project. It requires removal of the dash board and heater case. Give me some time to find instructions.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had it replaced by a local mechanic. I can see if the part is under warranty, but I expect that the most of the cost will come from the labor and not the part itself.

If he used a Ford part they reimburse labor as well.

First you need to remove the instrument panel.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh that would be great if it's still covered. I'll definitely get a hold of them. I'd still like the instructions whenever you get a chance, just in case.

Then the evap housing

There are the instruction steps. Is there anything further I can help you with?

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good, thanks for your help! This was much better than taking it into the shop.
Michael
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician