Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2010 ford taurus alarm goes off for no reason while parked…

2010 ford taurus alarm...

2010 ford taurus alarm goes off for no reason while parked in garage and key on desk?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

No, but alarm was not set.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Disconnect neg. post of battery and wait one minute and reconnect.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

After connecting the battery car was driven . after parking in the garage the alarm sounded off after approx. 15 to 20 minutes.

3/17/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review this information and get right with you. If you have your VIN please send it to me.

Do you have keyed or push button start?

1FAHP2EW4AG152045KEY
I'm not paying additional money. We'll email back and forth. OK?

Not a problem. Please ignore the phone call request. They come from an automated system, not from me.

Give me a moment to research this.

I won't be paying the the $36. and you can take that to the bank.

When you are driving do you ever get a warning saying your doors or trunk is ajar while driving?

No

The alarm system is a perimeter alarm. When you exit the vehicle it looks at all of the inputs it uses to see if the trunk, hood, and all doors are closed. They enter a 20 second pre-arm phase before the alarm is fully armed.

Once the alarm is fully armed the only thing can can cause the alarm to trigger is a signal stating one of those inputs has gone from closed to open. Since you aren't getting door or trunk ajar messages it probably is a hood switch. If you take it to a dealer their scan tool can tell you the last eight times the alarm was triggered which makes it easy to know what the cause is. Without a scantool you can attempt to verify if it's a hood switch or not by disconnecting the hood switch electrical connector and jumping the wires together. If you do this and the alarm stops triggering then the hood switch is the issue. You can also disable the alarm by disconnecting the hood switch electrical connector. The module will always think the hood is open and will never arm the alarm system.

How can the alarm trigger if not set after exiting the car?

The alarm automatically arms itself anytime the doors are locked by either the door lock switch, the key fob lock button, or pressing the last two numbers on the keyless entry pad. Once this is done a 20 second timer begins before the alarm arms itself.

The car is unlocked setting in the garage, and keys are on a desk. How can it arm itself? Went off 4 times since this morning.I connected the battery, and left the hood up, also used key to open driver side door + open & closed trunk It's been 20+ minutes and the alarm hasn't sounded.
According to the factory manual, or should only arm with the doors locked. It's entirely possible that the manual is incorrect and it arms after all inputs show closed and the key is removed from the ignition. Some Ford systems will do that.
The hood being open has prevented it from arming since you opened the hood. Disconnecting the switch will prevent it from arming. If you jump the circuits in the hood switch connector it send a signal to the module that the hood is closed. If you do that and the alarm does not arm them you will know the hood switch is going bad.
OK, but I can't find the hood switch?
Sorry bout that, I found the switch, but I didn't disconnect.
Depends on what you want to do from here. If you simply want the alarm to stop disconnecting the switch should do the job. If you'd like to know what the exact problem is I recommend finding a way to jump the circuits in the connector with it disconnected to see if the alarm goes off again.
I'm going to leave hood up 2 more hours. If it doesn't go off I will close. If the alarm goes off after closing, I will disconnect the switch.
Thanks for your help.
Edd

You're welcome. If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician