Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Water coming in on the front passenger side at the front of…

Water coming in on...

Water coming in on the front passenger side at the front of the harness tray in the floor. on 2004 Explorer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm trying to determine the reason for the leak myself

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

Which hoses would have impact on water coming into the cabin?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

3/17/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** the leak water or coolant?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Water
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The car has been sitting while the carpet dries out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is PVC applied in this area and either it was not applied well or there is some rust from the outside that resulted in the opening for the water to come through. At least that is what it looks like.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Without any advice from a professional I will dry it with the hair dryer and cault the area and then see what happens.

O​k there are a couple ways to try and find the leak, one way is to place the blower motor on high not on recirc, close all the doors and windows and try to feel any air escaping for around the windshield or body seam, another way is to have some one inside, possibly may have to remove the front seat for more room, then have an assistant run a garden hose of water slowly over the right front of the vehicle while another watches for dripping, then follow the water trail, there is a slim possibility the dash may have to come out just to be able to see the source of the leak. Water leaks are one of the most hard to find because they can drip on a wire loom and trail far from the source of the leak.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I removed the front seat and pulled up carpet and removed the harness tray. and dried it out. Then I noticed a little water after a rain. So today I dried it and sprayed the windshield, into the cowl area and around the doors on the right side and I have not had any water come in.

Let me know what you find, thanks Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get my reply just as you sent your last response?
I really appreciate the help
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I expected to see water when I sprayed. Maybe I didn't spray enough. But the thing is the water seems to only be coming in the hole where the PVC is.

Y​ou may have let that garden hose run a long time, we had some it took 30 minutes before they started to leak.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. I can do that

We have had some vehicles where we had to run the garden hose for 30 minutes before they would leak.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll run the hose longer and see what happens

Ok sounds good, good luck, let me know what you see.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know if there is a cavity in the body just forward of the door where water could collect and cause rust in this area?

I​ am not aware of any cavity, but I am not a body man so I don't see them without fenders all the time like they do, I only fix the leaks and seal seams.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. I'll do the other. Does that conclud my help today or can I come back in an hour?

Y​ou can rate my service today, as this is how I am paid for my time, you can continue to ask follow up questions as needed, this questions stays on for quite awhile. Just reply to this question and the system will let me know you responded. Thanks Scott

Stays open for quite awhile, that should read.

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician