Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Whomp whomp sound at any speed, bearings replaced 20,000…

Customer Question
Whomp whomp sound at...

Whomp whomp sound at any speed, bearings replaced 20,000 miles ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2003 f150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

There is a split differential, so the rear end hops if corner to fast. I rotated tires thinking the back tires were cupped, but no go. Again, bearing replaced 20,000 miles ago. That's is it to date. Yes, all work on the truck is mine 180,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

Tires have never been a problem. I have about 5,000 more miles before the need to replace

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It sounds like it comes from the middle of the truck underneath. I cannot hear any noise from outside when I roll done the windows.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/17/2018
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 1 month ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** speed doe this whomp noise start and at what speed is the worst?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It starts at 10 mph and never stops, but increases its rhythm as speed increases

Ok sound like maybe a bad bearing or belt broke in a tire, have you jacked the vehicle up and see if the noise is there? If it goes away jacked up, then most likely a tire is causing it, if it is still there, take a stethoscope and run the driveline while on jack stands and see if you can find the source of the noise by listening to the transmission, rear end, and driveshaft carrier bearing if it has one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will jack it up and run it and see if noise remains.

O​k sounds good, just properly support it, don't get under it if you don't have the stands. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
back tires are not the problem. No noise. It is from the front.

Like a front wheel bearing maybe or tire? Is this a*****or*****

If you have more questions just ask. All I ask is please take the time to rate my service today once you are finished, this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a two wheel drive with a split differential in the rear. The bearings have a little grease showing but nothing major. No wiggle in the tires when jacked up.

Ok we use a air powered buffer/grinder to spin tires on 2wd's. If you have something like this i would spin the tires and see if you can hear that same noise, it may be a rough spot in the front wheel bearing.

Sometimes even that is hard to tell, because now the suspension and bearings are all unloaded now since it jacked up also. So it could be hard to hear, but hopefully one side will be louder than the other.

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician