Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Gear shifter feels soft like its not really locked into gear…

Gear shifter feels soft...

Gear shifter feels soft like its not really locked into gear slot

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

2006 its on the column nothing to do wiyh brakes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Ford?

F 150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing I don't work on it without an idea what to look for

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it thx

3/17/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be helping you today.

When you say soft, would you also say loose? Like it has too much free play?

Like its not locking into a set position

The detent you feel when shifting is made into the transmission. To know how to tell if it's in the shifter assembly or the transmission you will need to disconnect the shift cable. Chock the wheels and set the parking brake and then manually shift the transmission by hand. If you feel the detents in the shift lever on the side of the transmission the problem is in the cable or shifter. If not you will need to remove the transmission pan and inspect the detent spring in the transmission.

Ok,thx. End

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician
No problem