Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2013 Flex will not start although it cranks and tries to…

2013 Flex will not...

2013 Flex will not start although it cranks and tries to start. Full tank of gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

It was running fine yesterday

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Flex yourself? What have you tried so far?

I added some cleaner to the fuel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has done this before.

3/17/2018
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

The most common cause for this is a failed fuel pump driver module. It is located behind the trim panel rear of the passenger rear door. It can be confirmed by installing jumpers in the connector as pictured below. If it starts with the jumpers installed, then the module has failed.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service before you go. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges. Rating my answer positive charges your account the full question value and credits me. Submitting for a refund removes the credit from my account and makes me donate my time and experience for free, which is not my intention. Please only rate positive if you are satisfied and intend on paying for the services you agreed to. Thanks!

Can this be an intermittent problem?

Yes I have seen them be intermittent, Module gets hot and fails then cools down and works. Usually they fail completely, but occasionally I have seen them start after the module cools down.

The door you show does not exist. All I found was the salt belt winder.

Giving me a chance to reply seems more productive then a negative rating. I don't know what "door" your talking about. The module is behind the upper trim just like in the picture closer to the roof. Giving a 1 star rating without even giving me a chance to respond is unfair and a good way to get experts to never take your questions on the site out of fear of a negative rating without having a chance. So easy to just click the 1 star while behind a computer or cellphone. I'm just trying to help.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Your pictures mislead me. I looked on yahoo and found a better picture and I understood more from those pictures. Remember I am not an auto mechanic. Your information was helpful and I do appreciate it. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

No problem, I hope you were able to get it straightened out.