Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My son in law recently replaced the engine in 2005 f150 but…

Hello my son in...

Hello my son in law recently replaced the engine in 2005 f150 but the new engine starts then dies... does he need to get the computer re flashed or is something else needs to be done

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?

Think it is fuel injected it is the triton one i think

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

He bought engine new from oreillys but we can take it to dealer if need to

3/17/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

Disconnect the mass airflow sensor and try to start it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not at it at the moment.. i am just trying to get answers for my son in law to know direction to go... since this is a new engine from orerilly was wondering if comp needed to be re flashed

normally the only time it needs to be programmed is when replacing the PCM itself.

it still has all of the vehicle configuration information stored and nothing is different on the new engine

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
only thing changed was the engine

then the PCM should not need to be reflashed or programmed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok just cant get answer to problem... is there a security feature that would cause this

have him disconnect the mass airflow sensor and try starting it.

if it was a security issue, the engine would only crank and it would never start

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok anything else it might be

the easiest way to tell is to have him watch the security light as he is cranking the engine, if it goes out then its not a security issue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok will try that but if cranks and light stays on then its a different prob i guess

if the light stays on, then the PATS system has it locked out and the keys will need reprogrammed

but that does not seem to be the issue if the engine starts then shuts down

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok would that let it run and then shut off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok well at least i know it does not need to be reprogrammed
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this truck has been sitting idle for couple years till they put engine in it so i guess i will check all wiring and connection

no it would not let it even start

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cok after i disconnect maf sensor what s next

if it was sitting for years, the first thing I would do is check all of the wiring for rodent damage. they love to chew the insulation on wiring.

just let me know what happens after disconnecting the maf and inspecting all the wiring in the engine compartment. to start troubleshooting anything else you will need a volt meter, a test light and a scan tool that reads live data

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok if it cranks abd stays running with maf sensor off does that mean its bad
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok but do i pay everytime cause cant do that lol

it means its bad. and no you do not pay every time. as long as I leave this open there is no further charges

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks i will try to do that later today thanks for the help

you are very welcome and Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic
David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic