Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a slight clunk sound when I brake in slow stop and go…

I have a slight...

I have a slight clunk sound when I brake in slow stop and go traffic. I have a recording of it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2013 ford explorer limited

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far, but the sound started about 6 weeks after I did a brake job and also changed transmission fluid. However the noise still happens when I shift into neutral and only when I brake so I am leaning toward a brake issue - possibly brake rattle

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

4 weeks ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I do have an MP3 of the noise

3/17/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I hear the recording or send a link to it, thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XwcORT_GydObh7ISj2cXcZJ48NrthpUT/view?usp=sharing

Thanks, ***** ***** noise was everytime you applied the brakes correct?

Not every time. When I have been driving at speeds over 25 MPH and then come to a stop, there is no noise. It only happens when I am in stop and go traffic slower speeds (5-10 MPH) and only when I depress the brakes slowly. If I have to stop suddenly at these lower speeds, there is no noise. Also when I am on an roadway with an incline, it happens at the low speeds more often than when on a decline roadway.

Ok, it almost sound to me like a brake pad hardware may be missing allowing the pad to move slightly in the caliper bracket. I would jack the front end or rear end up, if you can tell if it is front or rear, then check the whole suspension, ball joint, sway bar links, bushings, if ok, then recheck the brake hardware, there should be some stainless steel brake pad slides along with two springs on the pads in front. Just make sure one of these isn't missing.

L​et me know what you see.

OK thanks - its thunderstorms here so it will be a Sunday thing for me. These are the front brakes. I also thought it could be a caliper hanging up - perhaps 1 of the 2 pistons on the caliper not extending when lightly using the brakes.

T​hat is very possible, you can take the caliper off and take a pair of channellocks or c clamp and push the pistons back in, there should be a alight amount of resistance when pushing in slowly, but if it doesn't want to go back in very easily, I would replace the calipers.

A​lso make sure the pad fits into the caliper bracket ok, if there is an 1/8 of play, the pad will knock and pop during braking.

If you have any more questions just ask, when you are finished, all I ask is you please rate my help today, as this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott

Will do. If there is play is there a way to close the gap and stop the rattle?The brakes slide along a hardware clip.

If they are Ford pads bought from a dealer we rarely have to adjust them or modify them, if they are aftermarket we will take a center punch to the area of the steel on the pads where is contacts the caliper bracket, by center punch close to the edge, the metal will push out make the pad slightly larger just enough to take up the gap. Just make sure all the hardware is there first.

J​ust make sure they aren't too tight also, premature brake pad wear will happens if they are.

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

If you make them too tight don't worry, take a file and hand file a minimal clearance.

Thanks 5 stars - I appreciate the advice

Thank you for your business!! If you have follow up questions when you get in there, just ask on this same question, it stays open for quite awhile.

FYI - clouds cleared and I raised the Explorer and checked front or rear, then check the whole suspension, ball joint, sway bar links, bushings - all fine no play or issues. The brakes also checked out ok. So I drove the vehicle and heated up the front brakes and the noise started . I quickly raised 1 side in the driveway and sure enough when the brakes heat up there is play in the brake ears. So I decided to invest and ordered OEM Motorcraft BRRF-75 rotors and 1508 organic pads. Thanks again for the advice.

Good deal, you found the problem, thanks for your business!!