Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 F150 5.4 Triton, I am having issues with it…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 F150...
I have a 2007 F150 5.4 Triton, I am having issues with it stalling in reverse under low load.
When shifting from drive to reverse like when backing into a parking space or backing up my driveway it will stutter and stall unless I keep constant pressure on the gas pedal. When it stalls the engine start knocking really badly, then dies and a message comes up saying low oil pressure. I can then shit into park and the truck will start right back up with no problems but as soon as I go back into reverse it starts to stutter again unless I gas it.
This usually only happens when my gas tank is below a half tank but can occasionally do it when the gas tank is full. It occurs most frequently when backing up an incline like my driveway.
I have taken it to the dealership but they say they cannot recreate the problem but it happens almost every time I Hackberry the truck up my driveway.
Any suggestions on where I can start to self diagnose?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/17/2018
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 4 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

is the check engine light on??

this sounds like the torque converter in the transmission is locking up and loading up the engine and making it stall. this is a common issue for stalling in only one gear.

have you changed the filter and fluid in the trans on a regular basis??

Roy

No, the check engine light does not come on.I just bought the truck in November. When buying the truck it had all service records reported to carfac and all done at the same dealership. I am not sure however when the last time it was changed.If it was the torque converter would there be a reason it was happening mostly on a half tank of gas and below?Not sure if it would help but I took a video of it happening.

fuel level has no effect on when it happens. it all depends on when it senses the load.

there should be no connection to the fuel level. I will look for any TSB on the issue

Roy

I’m thinking it has something to do with the fuel level. I filled my tank up yesterday and sat in the driveway trying to recreate the problem and it doesn’t stall. But before I filled the tank it stalled going into a flat parking space. Fuel level at the time was just below a 1/4 tank.
I just remembered something.When I had my oil changed last month they checked all of my fluids. They said the transmission fluid was full and the fluid looked clean.

ok

is the check engine light on??

No it’s not. The dealership checked the memory for codes but didn’t find any.

ok, then it is mechanical and not electronic.

Roy checking

do you have any other questions??

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

you never responded with any solution.

the torque converter is the failed part and most likely needs to be replaced.

when the trans is removed and inspected, the tech will check for any metal shavings in the trans from the failure. if there are none, then just the converter can be replaced. if they find shavings, the trans will need to be overhauled as the shavings will damage valves and seals in the trans.

Roy

But why would it only do it on a lower fuel level?

I understand what you are saying but there is no connection between the 2 issues.

remember I am here and not there to check the truck myself. it is hard to give advice without seeing or touching the truck.

I will opt out and see if someone else has any better ideas for you

have a good day.