Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 escape/38000miles. My radio and cd player

I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 escape/38000miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 Ford?

My radio and cd player stops working but everything else still works,(heater, air) and after about a week later I go out to start it and nothing, this has happened three different times the last time being in 5/2017. they have replaced my battery all three times and again it is happening, now I am being told that I don't drive it enough, which is absolutely crazy this is the only thing I have I work every day, go shopping just everyday things but it is used everyday. Please help!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

I have not checked the coolant level. no nothing is leaking that I can see., atl least not on to the ground

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No up until now the vehicle was under warranty and like I mentioned before they keep saying it is the battery and putting a new one in. however I feel they only put band aid on it instead of really fixing the problem. now the warranty is up and I still have the very same problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not as far as I know I hope I have given all the information needed to get a answer that can help

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be assisting you today. If you have your VIN please send it to me.

So you've had this issue several times. Does the battery replacement always repair the problem? How long after the battery is replaced does it take to occur again?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VIN IS 1FMCU0D75BKA05576
Yes after they put in the new battery it will work for maybe 6 to 8 months

Thank you for the VIN. Give me a minute to research this. I'll be right back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Has anyone ever run a "battery drain test" on your Escape?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have taken it to auto zone and they used something but could only say that there was dead cells in a new battery

Is that where you've been getting your replacement batteries from?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no I have been getting all that work and oil changes at ford dealer in vermilion ohio

There are a couple of things that come to mind.

First, you need to have a battery drain test run.

When the key is turned off the vehicle still uses battery power. Up to an hour after turning the key off the modules will "stay awake". After about 45 minutes to an hour the systems shut themselves down. There is a possibility that something is happening that prevents module shut down. The way to know is to have a "battery drain test" done. A current meter is connected and inspected after the vehicle sits for an hour. The maximum allowable current drain after the modules have shutdown is .050 amps. Anything more than that can cause the battery to go dead.

If your battery drain test passes, driving time could possibly be an issue. I have seen vehicles that are driven daily have battery issues because the drive time isn't enough to sufficiently maintain battery charge. The expected average mileage of a vehicle is about 15,000 miles. Based on your vehicle's age and current mileage you drive about a third of that. I've had customer's that live close to work and where they shop have similar issues simply because they don't need to drive as far as most people. I've estimated your typically daily usage in the range of 15 miles. Depending on how many times you typically drive your computers could be online two or three hours a day, with only 30-45 minutes of battery charging occurring when the vehicle is driven. Over time this will result in a lower battery charge. This isn't your fault, it's the design of the computer system. There are some things you can do to help. One thing I've recommended in the past is getting a battery with a larger reserve capacity. Talk with your battery supplier, whether it be a dealer or auto parts store. There should be batteries available with a larger reserve. Also, one day a week, you can hook up a trickle charger to your battery overnight. This will prevent the long term battery power loss caused by insufficient charge time.

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you but yesterday I had the battery taken and a full charge was put on it but when it was put back in it still wil not turn
over but there was a clicking when I turned the key

That was when autozone said you had a bad cell in the battery?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no that was the time before this time and in May 2017 ford put the second new battery in and that is the one that I had them
put a charge on thinking that if it worked when ford put in a new battery for awhile, if I put the full charge on it that it would last long enough to trade it in but when full charge was put on in did not work this time

When they put the charge on did they test it when they were done and give you the results?

It sounds like that battery has failed. If it was replaced by the dealer, you should still have warranty on it.

I'm concerned about why the batteries keep failing. I'd definitely start by having the battery drain test done just to ensure there is not something going on with the car that is causing you to keep having failed batteries.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you I will have the battery drain test done and then maybe try another battery.
Michael
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician