Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Dome lights don't work when door opens, by switch or by

remote keypad. Fuse not blown...
Dome lights don't work when door opens, by switch or by remote keypad. Fuse not blown and bulbs are brand new.
3/17/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Are you cool with doing some wire testing and maybe working from wire diagrams?

If u walk me through it yes

Remove the front dome lamp. OHM test the black violet wire to ground, resistance or good continuity?

Is there power to the yellow/gray wire with the door open?

Is there power to the yellow/green wire all the time?

I know how to use a voltage meter but what is the ohm setting?

Looks like a horseshoe

I will be checkin it shortly. Had family emergency.

No hurry on my behalf. I will be finishing up here shortly but back online later tonight.

In the first test, you are doing ohms to see if the ground wire to the lamp is good. The reading should have been 0.0 ohms just like holding the meter leads together. I could not see the dial on your meter to see if you were in fact on ohms, I can see you were not on voltage. The last 2 tests are voltage tests.

Is that the reading you get when testing for good ground wires to the lamp?

What is the reading when touching the meter probes together?

0.10 is what I get when touching them together

That is odd it should be 0.0, so it is your meter reading wrong. Based on that reading the ground wire to the lamp will give the same reading if it is good. Any luck on the wires to test voltage at?

What do you mean wires to test voltage at?

I'm a little confused.. isn't that what i just did?

Based on your pictures of your meter you were testing ohms. OHM testing is just for testing ground wires. Voltage testing is done on the DC volt setting with the meter grounded.

you want me to volt test them this time?

That is correct, one wire is ohm ground tested and 2 wires are voltage tested.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

I apologise for not responding right away I work 12 hour shifts so only time I can work on fixing the issues is on Sundays sometimes Saturday. I plan on testing it this weekend. Again i apologise for any inconvenience.

Thanks for the update. Posts only stay open for 7 days if not answered and rated. So we need to make some progress by Saturday. Would a wire diagram help speed up the process?

it would.

Here are the diagrams.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrs1d4utgaeycwg/dome1.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy9m980jlvtgfb8/dome2.pdf?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris you have been very helpful and patient so I gave you 5 stat rating. I feel up to this point you deserve and have more then earned it. I hope you will still continue to work with me to hopefully solve this issue.

I will.

What exactly is code B2A36 ( interior lighting output circuit short to ground) and B2A3A ( puddle lamp output circuit short to ground) mean?

DTC B2A36 (Interior Lighting Output Circuit Short To Ground) - is a continuous and on-demand DTC that sets when the SJB detects a short to ground from the interior lighting circuit.

DTC B2A3A (Puddle Lamp Output Circuit Short To Ground) - is a continuous and on-demand DTC that sets when the SJB detects a short to ground from the cargo lamp circuit. The DTC also sets as a result when the SJB fuse 10 (15A) has failed or is removed.

There are diagnostic steps that also go along with these codes if needed. Pretty much the codes imply these circuits are broken or shorted to round, or the SJB has an internal failure.

does that mean somewhere in the cluster there's a bad wire shorting out causing the interior done lights to not work? Strange thing is there on the same relay as the outside cargo light but the outside cargo light works.

These codes do not imply a short inside the cluster. We have to do the wiring tests mentioned long ago to find where this power issue is.

YE/GN that wire passed the test. That is the wire that powers all the overhead lamps for the switches overhead than manually turn them on and off.

YE/GY that wire failed the test. That is the wire that turns on the overhead lamps when the door is open or when manually turned on by the dimmer. You should get battery voltage there with the door open.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/251ggine6rhhdu6/yegy.png?dl=0

The fuse box that is on the passenger side floor?

Correct

Should the yellow/grey wire be behind the #9 slot with the 15A fuse?