Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Loss of power steering. Replaced the rack today still felt…

Loss of power steering...

Loss of power steering. Replaced the rack today still felt the same just disconnected the battery overnight to see if it is fixed in the am

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

Some whining I think. I have the electronic steering so no way to check everything said replace rack due to computer models

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2014 Ford F-150 fx4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I worked for ford for years but have been out for 19 years. Replaced the rack

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I guess not

3/17/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Did you program the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module) to the vehicle. It is a module.

PSCM is what Ford calls the rack and pinion now days.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No just replaced
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought it was plug and play

No, the days of plug and play are long gone. Ford found out they were loosing too much money on that. All modules need to be programed to the vehicle and programing information is VIN# ***** See the link below.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to bring to dealer and have programmed?

Yes, since you have installed a new one, they will need to program it with the ASBUILT DATA that only Ford has access to.

When we do it at the dealership, we download the information from the old module/component, and then remove the bad part and install the new one and then upload the data into it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

Your welcome.

A. Penland
A. Penland
A. Penland