Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1998 f250 4x4. ive got a knock..sounds like a rod…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 f250 4x4. ive got a knock..sounds like a rod knock,its getting worse. my oil pressure is good. can i take the pan off and replace rod bearings without removing the engine?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

Original and no

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/17/2018
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 4 months ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** this a f250 super duty, or the lighter version f250 looks like a 150?

not a super duty

W​hat engine do you have?

Ok i don't know which engine you have so I looked at all of them, every engine in this model year can have the oil pan taken out, so it is possible to replace the rod bearings, however usually if a rod bearing is bad, so is the crankshaft. If you put a new bearing on a grooved crankshaft, it will not last long at all, the journals need to be polished and true for a bearing to last. If you want some information on oil pan removal, just let me know which engine you have and I will get it.

A​nymore questions, just ask, thanks Scott