Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 ford ranger v6 4x4 3.0L flex fuel won't go into any…

Customer Question
1999 ford ranger v6...

1999 ford ranger v6 4x4 3.0L flex fuel won't go into any gear I just drove it and parked it got back in and started it up and it sounded like it was struggling and then started and it won't go into anyour gear at all.. shut if back off and started again and it didn't struggle at all starting the truck it was same as always but still no gears at all.. im stumped

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I just bought the truck a month and a half ago from a older lady and she said that a transmission shop had done work on the transmission recently and the prnd21 isn't lined up with the actual gears so when the vehicle is in drive it is in between the 2 and the D and so on and so forth

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing it myself I started checking fuses and relays under the hood and on the driver side left side of the dash that's it so far and then I started searching stuff on the web thinking maybe a torque converter I was hoping it was something simpler than that though

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just how it was all that sounded like it was really struggling to start when I first started it before I notice the problem and it took me a few times of cranking it over to actually get it to start and then I had no gears and it started fine after that but still no gears

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
3/16/2018
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 6 months ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** you think it is a engine performance concern or do you think it is definitely aa transmission problem? Is the fluid full? Not burnt? Was there any noise during the no engagement?

Definitely a transmission problem the transmission fluid is full not burnt it was slipping a tiny little bit just very randomly and rarely the last couple days maybe and so I bought a bottle of Lucas transmission slip fix stuff and put that in and it seemed to work immediately cuz I wasn't having any issues whatsoever and there is no shift noises during engagement when the vehicle is running when I shift from Park to reverse to neutral to drive nothing it does absolutely nothing
I drove the the truck just a little while ago and it drove fine I parked it when I got back in it and try to start the vehicle up it struggled almost like the battery was dead or something which wasn't the case but it sounded kind of like that and it took me a few attempts to get the vehicle started and once it started I had no gears so I shut it off and then I started it again and it didn't struggle it started up just fine like it always has but I still have no gears I'm wondering if there was something that happened when I was trying to start the vehicle the first time that happened I don't know why it would struggle to start
That's the first time it's ever done that ever since I've had the vehicle but I've only had the vehicle two months and my gears aren't lined up as far as the prnd21 on the gauge cluster goes for instance when the vehicle is in Drive the indicator is between the D and the two I don't know if that has anything to do with anything I'm hoping it's like a fuse or something like that or fuse relay or something I don't know but I got to fix it myself I'm not a rich man I'm young I am mechanically inclined but not too much but if it's broke I can fix it usually and I'm not afraid to do anything
Hey I'm no mechanic but if I was to try to answer this problem it would start with when I tried to start the vehicle and it was struggling to start for the two or three cranks until I can get it to fire something happened then

I would check the ground cable to the starter first since this was cranking slow, check the battery voltage also should be 12.6 on a fully charged battery. If this is good, I would check for codes with a scan tool just to see if anything set in memory, if there are no codes, then a line pressure test to see if there is any pressure inside the transmission to engage clutch packs. No electrical fault will cause a no engagement concern. Meaning if all the connectors were unhooked it would still have reverse and a forward gear. Do you need some diagnostic information?

please

Here is line pressure chart, I remember working on a bunch of these and sometime the EPC bracket would crack and the EPC would back out of the valve body. I would check for line pressure after you look at the cables and battery and see if there is any pressure inside the transmission.

.

I have good pressure

What is the pressure you have? Does it make the specs I gave? Does it move today?

Nothing it's still sitting.. I'm going to check the starter ground and the other things u said.. I did some research and would the shift interlock thing have anything to do with it

T​he shift interlock is for the shifter lever, if it is engaging, the shifter won't move, your moves ok correct?

there was another thing related to that but I can't remember the name of it.. but why would starting it and it struggling have anything to do with the gears ? It wasn't in gear or anything.. it's an automatic
Ok i see i disconnected the plug in under the brake pedal and it wouldn't move so I plugged it back in

Was the overdrive light flashing the same time the struggling was occurring?

You know I'm not sure but get this last night I was I believe it was like the overdrive and a few other things fuse but had to do with gears and it was blown so I replace it with the same amperage fuse and it blew it immediately if you need me to I could tell you exactly what that fuse went to

Ok yes I will look it up

But when I first got the truck mind you I've only had it a month I couldn't get the overdrive to work at all well I noticed a couple fuses you know weren't where they needed to be and so on and so forth so I downloaded a PDF of the fuse box placement map or whatever you want to call it and I went to my part store and I bought a bunch of mini fuses and whatever and I went through the entire list and I put the fuses where they needed to be every single fuse made sure they were all in the appropriate spots according to the amperage

Just tell the number and if it was inside or under the hood.

It was inside and I believe it was number 22 I'll check real quick though just to make sure
27
It was 27
That's the fuse that blew
It was a 15 amp blue mini fuse that was blown and I replaced it and as soon as i shifted out of park it blew again
In the #27 spot
I just don't see how anything could have broken since I only parked it and when I got back in the truck I started it up and tried to put it in reverse and I had nothing there was no loud noises there is no nothing it just wouldn't go into gear lever move but no gears and then with the fuse being blown that sent a red flag up
The previous owners stated that they just had the transmission worked on for a new one put in or something like that a couple months ago

So the 27 keeps blowing correct?

Correct
27 15 amp mini fuse inside truck on driver side

Ok I suspect that problem of the blowing fuse is probably the wiring to the OD cancel switch on the shift lever. I would pull back the column covers and look at the wiring coming out of the shifter lever, see if it is chafed, or disconnect the wiring connector and replace the fuse and see what happens.

Okay could that be the reason possibly?

I don't know for sure if it is related to the trans, because the manual says no electrical concern will cause a no engagement.

But definitely worth pulling apart and trying.

Ok ill check and get back to you.. I just don't see how anything with starting the truck could do something to make it not engage in any gear idk i could be wrong what do u think?

I don't see how it could either. You may have a couple different concerns going on and they cropped up at around the same time. We see strange stuff all the time.

Ya true and also I just remembered that the last couple days I would start my truck up to warm it up in the morning and the first start of the day they would make a couple cracking noises when I would start the truck like just when I would turn the key at first it would go clack clack and start then I'd warm it up and go.. I'm trying to explain the noise best I can so bare with me .
But all other starts it didn't make the noise

Hmm I'm not sure on the noise.