Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car is a 2005 ford Taurus with a 3 liter 12 valve and…

hi My car is a...
hi My car is a 2005 ford Taurus with a 3 liter 12 valve and 300000 km. At cold start up the car stalls. The colder it gets the more often it stalls. After that it is fine for the rest of the day.The fuel pressure with a manual gauge is 60 psi at prime, 40 psi at crank and ones the car starts it drops down to 20 psi and climbs up to 30 - 35 psi where it stays at.I cleaned all the grounds for the pcm, fuel pump and battery, replaced both the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump control module with a new one and the results are the same. My question is am I looking at a fuel pump or does the pcm need reprogramming.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Is the check engine light on at any time or have you gotten any codes with this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No check engine light and no codes

Ok there are a couple of possibility's here.

First, try cleaning the throttle body. If it's dirty it can cause this and won't set any kind of check engine light or codes.

The other possible issue is the mass air flow sensor. Try unplugging it when it's cold and see if the car will start right up and idle on it's own. If it does, then I would replace the mass air flow sensor.

This is the sensor right at the air filter box on the tube that heads to the throttle body.

This will also cause the check engine light to come on, but it should go off once you plug it back in.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I swapped the maf sensor with our other vehicle that had a new one put in. I am concerned about the 20 psi low pressure as this is when the car stall at at cold. I had the throttle body off in the summer and it was clean.

Well, the fuel pump driver modules job is to only produce higher fuel pressure as needed. So, 20 psi at idle shouldn't be a problem. It is based off of the throttle position sensor, but it doesn't seem like you have a fuel pressure issue to me.

That being said, it is possible there is something going on with the coolant temp sensor. It might make the engine run to rich or to lean under certain conditions. The only thing that doesn't really fit in my mind is you don't have any problems once it get's going. The rest of the day is fine, that really points towards the maf sensor more so then the ect.

If you could get the readings from the maf when it's cold and stalls, and compare them to it when it's warmer and will fire right up it might come to the conclusion of the maf beng the issue.

I don't believe there are any updates for the pcm for this issue either.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician