Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I haven't had any problems with my transmission. The other…

I haven't had any problems...
I haven't had any problems with my transmission. The other day I pulled out of my driveway and my overdrive light was flashing and my car was real sluggish. Then when I pulled over and put it in park, it is now a locked in park. The shifter shifts just fine but when you shift it to park or excuse me from Park to drive or reverse it's still infarct so it seems like the shifter is not engaging the transmission. We did change the range position control which we thought was really the problem but it did not work. The cable from the shifter to the transmission seems to be fine. And now my wheels are locked in park so when I head to toe it home I needed a special tow truck with these dollies to put my wheels on. The first tow truck driver was just going to drag my car. And I told him no way. So another tow truck had to come out with these dollies or skates. So to bring it to a repair shop I'm going to have to tow it again. I'd rather try it myself and hope it's not the transmission. Cuz I can't afford that right now. Any suggestions?
3/16/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** year and model vehicle do you have? Can you give me the vin and I will see if there are any messages.
1 fmcu 94103 KD 07665 trauma I've already spoken with the dealership in my problem is they have not experienced this before and I don't want them trying to sell me transmission if that's not the problem. We already change the range position sensor, which we really thought was it, but that didn't work. Can you just call me it would make this a lot easier.(###) ###-####
Okay then. Got any ideas?

I​ don't do phone calls, but I can opt out if you like, do you want a phone call?

Or we can continue in chat.

We'll try chat, but this is rather complicated...

I see that it is stuck in park now? Has the transmission shifter cable been checked, these were bad about the grommet wearing out at the transmission end. If the shifter real loose shifting now?

The shifter seems fine and the cable is connected but we really can't see The Grommet from above.

Can you have someone shift the shifter while someone else watches to make sure the lever for the shifter that goes into the transmission moves ok.

We did that already and it works fine. Driver the liver is moving and my guy watched it from under the hood and can see it moving and it is connected. The tow truck driver said the shifter seems to move to easily thinks that the shift that is connected to the lever may be broken.
Shaft

I assume this is an escape? Correct? I was never told for sure.

I​ just read your other question, 2003 escape. Did you happen to get the computer tested for trouble codes?

an 03 Ford Escape four-wheel drive, with lock in or out option.

Did you have the computer tested for trouble codes since the OD light was flashing?

we have the code reader and it said no codes. And the check engine light is not on.

Ok the obd2 code reader won't read transmission codes, you will need a different scan tool to see them. If I had the code, I would have a lot better idea of the problem. But from the sounds you may have a internal linkage problem causing the transmission to stay in park. Are you repairing yourself? Because this is a pretty big job, I can give all the teardown information you need though.

D​o you want some disassembly instructions?

Oh that's the only code reader we have. And now the car is stuck in my driveway after having it towed here. The transmission has never given me any trouble and the fluid is always fine. Wouldn't I have some previous indications if my transmission had a problem? You're does something like this just go all of a sudden?
Or does...
Can I buy or rent that code reader that gives me the transmission codes from somewhere?

Yes you can buy code readers that will work with other systems of the vehicle, I would call a local auto parts store and see wht they offer. Transmissions can go out on a moments notice, just because the fluid looks ok doesn't mean some didn't break or strip out. Since this is stuck in park it is either in the shifter linkage inside the transmission, or there is a problem in the differential inside the transmission, these are the only things that will lock it up. I would jack it up and make sure the wheel turn freely also. Let me know if you want some teardown information.

Would the differential have anything to do with the rear wheels also? Because the tow truck driver thought the
rear Wheels rolled freely but then put them on skates feeling that it was pulling them or skipping he called it chirping. But we are certain that the front wheels will not spin.

The rear wheel should have spun unless the coupling was locked up electrically. I would jack this vehicle up and try to hand spin each tire and see if there is something else going on with a wheel bearing or brake possibly.

Okay, we plan on working on this this over the weekend. We are in Illinois so it's getting late now and we're doing this in our driveway. So yes we will try to get that code reader and we will jack it up and check all four wheels to see if they're spinning or not. And can we continue this conversation when we are under the car? Also yes we will take the detailed breakdown. Is it a word by word breakdown or a detailed graphic?

Ok, the information is word with some detail, it is what we use everyday.

Great, how do I get to see it? Text or Email?

I will get it right now, give me a few minutes.

Tha
Thanks

S​orry we are in lightning storm right now, taking longer to upload. Click here

Let me know if you get it, thanks Scott

we got it. So there is a way to get back to you I just have to pay another $38? Cuz if we have questions it would be nice while we're doing it and/or to let you know what transpired for your own info for another possible customer.

Y​ou can rate my help today, and still continue to ask questions as you go on this same question, just reply to this question and the system will let me know when you responded.

I am online on weekends during the day, and after 6pm central everynight.

I work at a Ford dealership during the day weekly.

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Cary York
Phone call session started