Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Having intermittent 'hard' steering. Also right front seems…

Customer Question
Having intermittent 'hard' steering...

Having intermittent 'hard' steering. Also right front seems to shudder at highway speeds when turning to the right.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

Yes all fluids are full, no leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2009 F150 XLT 4x4 with 175K miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was going to, have not tried yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just put on new brakes and tie rod ends about two weeks ago

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/16/2018
Ford Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Was this issue present before or after the work you mentioned was done?

After.
Just want to try and narrow the issue. Think it might be the power steering pump at first, but from reading forums it looks as if the lower steering rod could be the issue, although not sure how a shaft can cause 'hard' steering. I would think loss of pressure to drive pinion.

I don't see how these two issues could be related but lets do some checking on one a time if that's ok with you? Did you have the alignment checked after doing the tie-rod ends?

alignment was (as i was told) done.

so did you get a print out of the alignment?

nope

I think if you request a service it may be faster by phone chat

let me know

just really looking for some direction on the steering issue. The shimmy at highway speed could be a couple things of which the alignment could be one, but not as concerned.

just to let you know your protected by this sight's 100% money back guarantee if I cannot help you to your satisfaction so nothing to loose.

If I didn't think I could shed light on your issue I would not offer this but up to you if you wish to continue texting just let me know and I will proceed.

just was looking for a justification on the lower steering shaft causing 'hard' steering. Just don't want to do a shotgun approach and replace pump, shaft etc. if I can just do one. The last 'maintenance' was a bit steep so was wanting to trim cost. Didn't realize a tune up was going to be a $800 dollar fiasco.

Ok I understand and will give you some ideas what it can be as well as ways you can isolate things yourself if you wish , just will take a bit longer to do then chatting but if you wish me to do this for you let me know and I will start typing, just don't laugh at my spelling, lol

Sorry for the delay, running crazy on this end. I am open to any ideas, and hopefully it isn't the steering box or rack issue.

Ok there can be a few things that may cause your symptom I will first give you procedures we do to try and isolate them. Starting with the steering, I would lift the front of the vehicle and disconnect both outer tie rod ends so you can push each wheel in and out , this will tell you if there is any front suspension joints seizing up or dry. Also at this time grab the wheel top and bottom to wiggle to see if there is any play there. Next re attach the tie rods and do the same, in and out, this will check the rack and intermediate steering shaft, if you feel it binding or rough , disconnect the intermediate shaft going to the rack and do again. this will tell you if that is in the rack or steering shaft.

Now for the shuddering in right front when turning, this can be caused by loose or worn suspension parts, bad tire, bent rim, tire pressures. When your doing those things I mentioned for checking the hard steering check the front suspension at the same time for worn inner tire rod ends, ball joints. Then rotate the wheels front to back to see if it goes away. Also check the brakes that the calipers are not hanging on. Also when your doing highway speeds touch the brakes lightly enough so they start to engage, at this time if you notice an oscolation in the steering wheel then your front rotors are either warped or not swatting properly.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.