Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

98 mustang 3.8 no oil pressure put new oil pump and cam

98 mustang 3.8 no...

98 mustang 3.8 no oil pressure put new oil pump and cam shafts synchronizer

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

New

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

Y

3/16/2018
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

I assume the engine oil is clean and full?

The oil pump is brand new?

Was there any work done to the engine other than these things?

Anything aftermarket?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm at doc appointment and it will take a couple of hours can I talk to u then please

No problem sounds good talk then.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm out from doctor's appointment I change the oil pump and the can sensor thing and I still have no oil pressure
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do you prime your oil pump
You’re actually supposed to lubricate the gears with Oil when installing the oil pump in place. That way he creates a suction when the engine is started and create oil pressure.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did and I use 90 weight oil and put that in the oil pump
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On that cam sensors synthesizer is there a pen that goes in there that holds the rod
OK then you could have a faulty new oil pump or the bearings in the engine are shot preventing the oil pressure from coming up to where it needs to be.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I watch this video of the guy use Vaseline and put it in his oil pump and then he took a drill and stuck it down with the rod that has a camshaft sensor not sensitizer and then use that drill to get oil pressure
Gotcha. I have never needed to do that, and I am pretty sure ford does not recommend that when installing the oil pump or to fix an oil pressure issue.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you can synthesizer is not turning when I try to start it what would be the problem
Maybe the camshaft is not turning when cranking the engine. Have you checked engine compression?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The engine will start but there ain't no oil pressure

Remove the cam sync and see what is broke down in there preventing it from turning.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try it when I get home just about there

let me send you a diagram. There is an oil pump intermittent shaft that could be broke preventing the pil pump from turning.

Sorry, I meant to say intermediate shaft

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I took oil pump off check it out make sure there wasn't nothing in there took the cam sensitizer out and look it over and stuck it in there and didn't see nothing in there but is it supposed to turn when you are cranking it over

Of course it is. If not, something is clearly broken inside preventing it from turning.

You will need to dissemble it to find the broken component and replace it as needed.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great weekend!!

It’s hard to say without pulling everything apart, but something was not sittting up against the gears correctly, maybe a faulty cam synchronizer..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The old one I hard to turn and the new turns easy could that be the problem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any way the gears are gone onbt cam shaft now us the gears and cam shaft one unit
that is possible

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Amedee

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The cam shaft gear is stripped out

YUP! That will do it! Glad to hear we got to the bottom of it.

I am glad I can help!

Thanks and have a great day!!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN