Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Battery light is on. The garage just change battery and

Customer Question
Battery light is on ...

Battery light is on

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

The garage just change battery and alternator.. it still on i went back and they test the new alternator and fully change the battery ... and still the light stay on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2010 f-150 5.4l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im gonna try it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

All there

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
3/16/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Is the alternator charging at 14 volt at the battery with the engine running?

What brand of alternator did they install?

a brand new Denso and yes its charging 14 volt

What usually happens with installing the aftermarket alternator is its not designed for the computer controlled charging system that your 2010 F 150 has, and they will usually charge correctly but will not turn off the battery light. You can likely resolve this issue by installing an OEM Ford alternator.

it a OEM ford DENSO 150 amp .I still have the old Alt which i got it tester and the guy just call me telling me that nothing is wrong with i also compare and they are both the exact same Alt parts number and all.. i also start cleaning all the connection starting by battery. all the ground behind engine in fire wall, the ground next to the battery in the fender.
Part #: GL987 (10346)

Have you scanned the system to see if the PCM is detecting any fault codes?

i have scan no code.

l I am not aware of any other issue on a properly charging alternator besides it being the wrong alternator which in your cases you say is not the problem so I will open this post back up for you and perhaps someone else may have something new to add.

no it all good i wanted to make sure with an expert before sending it directly to Ford dealership. Im gonna let someone more qualified then me to deal with this. Thanks for your help i appreciate it.

Okay, thank you as well. If you do not mind, can you let me know what the end results turn out to be?