Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1995 Crown Victoria 4.6 with 65,000 miles. About 3…

I have a 1995...

I have a 1995 Crown Victoria 4.6 with 65,000 miles. About 3 months after I got it almost a year ago the check engine light came on. 1st and easiest move was get a new OEM Gas cap. It worked for about a week. I have to emission test this car next month so now I need to know next thing to test.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Crown Victoria yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. Only the OEM Gas cap.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can I use a scanner on this car? I know I cannot on my 1995 TransAm.

3/16/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

From what you are describing here, it sounds like the problem will lie in the EVAP (emisisons) System. Unfortunately, there are dozens of parts and sensors in the EVAP System, so deciding which to test next would be almost impossible. Best bet here is to have the diagnostic trouble codes (p-codes) scanned from the on-board computer. Luckily, this vehicle is ODB-II compliant, so must scan-tool can read the codes. The ODB-II connector is located under the driver's side dash, to the right of the steering column. If you do not have access to a scan-tool, you can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc). Once you have these p-codes, we can more accurately and efficiently determine where the problem lies. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a fully functional OBD II scanner so will check it out.

Sounds good. Scan those codes and reply back... we can pick it right back up from here when you're ready.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will do. It will send them to you.It will probably be later in the day and no big rush. Thank you for your help so far Ron.Jon Paffenroth

No problem, Jon. I'm here until around 4pm (east coast) today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If we don't get it today Monday will be fine. Thanks

Not a problem, Jon. This thread stays open for as long as you need it, even after you leave a rating using the stars at the top of the page. Just reply back to this thread and we can continue on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
K

K Jon. Talk soon.

HI Jon! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ron I finally am sitting in the C/V with scan tool. First code is P0401. Check vacuum hoses heading to the DPFE sensor for holes and cracks.Exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected.

You will need to check the rubber lines to the DPFE and EGR. Also check the EGR Tube (the DPFE lines hook to it). These have a tendency to rust and create holes. If no leaks are found, pull the EGR valve and check the EGR ports. If they look like they have a lot of carbon build-up, clean as much as you can out using a flat blade tool. Try not to let too much fall back inside. Reinstall the EGR Valve. IF the P0401 is still there, more times than not, the DPFE itself is the cause. This model year DPFE had a lot of problems. It was redesigned a few different times. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ron I will leave a 5 star. I have more on scan. It says check for failed DPFE. How do I do that?

The only method given by Ford will require the use of a scan-tool that can read live data. The DPFE PID should read out in volts. Key on/Engine off, the voltage should be between 0.2-1.3v. It should jump to 0.2-4.5v around 30mph.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -

What were the other codes you had from the scan, Jon?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That was the only one I got.

Oh! My apologies! I misread! I thought you had multiple codes and we were going one at a time! Sorry about that!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problem I will try to do the test and see what happens. I will let you know.

Sounds good Jon. Like I say, carefully inspect the rubber EGR lines and the EGR Tube (metal) for any cracks. Clean the EGR ports. Replace the DPFE.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok when done I will let you know the results.

Ok Jon. I'll be here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the help.

You're welcome!

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -