Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 03 ford ranger XLT will not start. The battery is fine…

Customer Question
My 03 ford ranger...

My 03 ford ranger XLT will not start. The battery is fine but the engine wont even make a sound. what could cause this

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They are fine I recently had the battery replaced. I have limited funds and need to have some idea of what it may be

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just happened I had it towed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I recently had an engine flush and a fuel filter replacement Could it be spark plugs

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
3/16/2018
Ford Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Definitely not spark plugs because for the spark plugs to be able to fire the engine the starter has to turn it first so we're talking bad ignition switch, bad starter, and immobiliser issue if there's a chip in the key in this vehicle.If you have a spare key let's try that, and then you would need a voltmeter to get under the vehicle and find the starter and then see if the small wire to the starter is getting any voltage when you turn the ignition key.If you don't have a voltmeter what you can do is take a small wire and jump power from the large wire on the starter to the small wire on the starter and the vehicle should then crank the engine over if the starter is good.