Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2015 Ford Fusion “service charging system” light comes on.

Customer Question
The alternator and battery are...
2015 Ford Fusion “service charging system” light comes on. The alternator and battery are working from what I can tell. The battery shows 12.6 volts when car not running and 13.55 volts when running. At the post of the alternator it shows 13.65 volts which is within the acceptable range of difference. The light continues to come on even though it seems everything with it is fine. Do you know how many volts should be coming off the alternator and what we should check next?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/16/2018
Ford Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 4 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hello and welcome

the alternator should be north of 14V - so it does appear that your alternator is faulty, which explains the warning you are getting.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Is it possible to have an alternator that is partly working. I had one and it put out 13.65 volts. Then I replaced it and the next one also put out 13.65 volts. It’s just interesting that they both put out the exact same amount

you can have an intermittent alternator, if that is what you mean, yes.