Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I talked to you before about my 2003 Ranger with a 2000

engine. Since the engine wiring...
I talked to you before about my 2003 Ranger with a 2000 engine. Since the engine wiring harness on the 2000 didn't have a wire at pin location 44 for the starter I pulled the wire from the harness on the 2003 engine and put it in thinking that may be why the starter wasn't turning with the key but that didn't fix the problem either.
3/15/2018
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

hi again

that wont work because the programming for that pcm does not look at pin 44.

Roy

On the 2003 doesn't it looked at pin 44?

thats what all the wiring diagrams said but you dont have anything in that cavity. this means it may have a different harness in the truck which does not make sense/

can you give me the part number on the pcm??

Roy

There are 2 harnesses in the engine compartment. 1 on the engine and 1 on the body. The one on the engine matches the 2000 and didn't have a wire for pin 44. I took the wire from the engine harness on the 2003 and ran it from pin 44 to cavity 28 on the connector to the body harness.

are the wire colors the same???

another thing you can try is to ground the blue/orange wire or the wire on the ground side of the relay control. that should activate the relay but dont know if it will start

Roy

Same color, dark blue with orange. Grounding the relay didn't do anything.

the relay did not energize???

Have you tried another relay??

Correct. Relay is good.

then it should activate when you ground it. make sure power is still there on the control side

Roy

Well rats! It does have power to it and when I short it the starter turns. I'm missing something but again I have to take off. Maybe I'll pick your brain later. Thanks

you bet

Well....way back at the beginning you asked about the security light. It is not on but I just noticed that it is never coming on at all like it is supposed to. So maybe the security system is the root of the problem?

I also remember saying that is one of the factors the pcm looks at before it will ground the relay.

what concerns me is that you ground the control side of the relay and the starter does not crank. it should crank.

verify power to the relay again

Roy

Relay is good and does have power.

ok, both terminals??

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Hey, I'm trying again. In answer to your last question; yes, power on one contact all the time and power on the other with key in start position.

ok, then if you ground the control side in start position the relay should energize and the starter crank

Roy

it does

ok, the next thing you need to do is to find the wire that goes to the pcm from the relay for the ground. then ohm it out from the relay to the pcm to be sure it is not broken.

Roy

I have continuity. That is the wire that I had to add to the engine harness.

where did you put it in the pcm connector

44

was there a wire there?

No. On the 2003 harness there was but not on this one.

then it will not work. I told you before if there is no wire there it will not function. it is a dead terminal. you need to go to the terminal the wire belongs that you just checked.

Roy

I still have the 2003 body harness hooked up to the power distribution box and it has that wire. The engine harness from the 2000 did not have that wire so I added it and put it on pin 44 like it was on the 2003 engine harness.

ok, are you using the 03 pcm???

I think I just found the problem. The wires in the connector from the engine harness to the body harness are not in the same locations for the 2 years. Looks like I need to move some wires in the connector.

make sure they go to the right places

Do you have access to the diagram for the connector of the 2 harnesses from the 2000 and the 2003?

let me check

it just tells me the connector number. looking for a diagram of the connector