Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It has problems of the engine dying when coming to a stop.

It has problems of...

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Automatic, and not sure of mileage. Belongs to my granddaughter, bought used.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2011 Escape

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had it in to local dealer where bought and they said it was the transmission, but have had no problems with shifting gears, not sure how they came to that conclusion.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. Thanks

3/15/2018
Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician

greetings,

is the check engine light on? will the vehicle stall if you put it into neutral when stopping? did they tell you the trouble codes? usually it will be on the receipt.

If the vehicle does not stall when stopping with the trans in neutral it may be caused by the torque converter staying in OD (over drive) staying locked up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No check engine light on, not sure if stops when in neutral but will restart with no need for jump start. What is a torque converter.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have the receipt, auto belongs to my granddaughter and her dad has the receipt.

The torque converter is the hydraulic lock between the engine and transmission. This vehicle might have a throttle body sticking issue. That can sometimes be fixed with cleaning.

You said it had trans codes so the converter or solenoid/valve body could be the cause. The throttle body is a known issue for stalling. Many parts places sell spray cleaner for this issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My son took it to the dealer that he bought it from and they told him that the transmission needed replaced, how would that be determined, if no problems with shifting gears, it just would die when you came to a stop.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There had been some recalls for this auto and the dealer said they did the replacements.

Many times dealers avoid repairing transmissions that are not under warranty. If the converter or torque converter controls are the cause of the stall.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How costly is this to have done. Would the converter or torque be cause for transmission replacement

If the converter is stuck it will cause this.

It needs to be diagnosed. You could try a trans fluid flush. You might get lucky and remove something that is jamming in the valve body. In most cases the converter is not the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They said that the torque was on the recall list and it had been taken care of. So would the problem be due to, them not doing it, or putting in old parts or just trying to rip us off.

There are fluid circuits that control the converter lock up, they need to release or the converter stays locked

I would like to see the recall. they have to show it.

sounds like they should do the right thing and repair it since they sold it to your granddaughter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would you suggest that it be taken to another auto shop to have a 2nd opinion. Like I said, it is my granddaughters auto and she has only had it less than 6 mo, bought used and was taken in for the "recalls" after it was bought, and not this problem.

I would get a second opinion

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** you feel that the whole transmission would not need to be replaced. They quoted a price of $5300 for replacement.

The dealers are independent but you could also call FORD to see if they will help. You can say the dealer did repairs/recall and they want to replace the trans after 6 months.

5300 is extremely high since they sold the vehicle.

Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** let my son know and let him take care of it, thanks for helping this grandma wanting her granddaughter to be safe, as she loves the auto.

dealer probably can get reman trans for 2500.00

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you again.

thank you and good luck

if the trans is shifting good most likely it can be repaired.

valve body might go for 500$ from ford.

Ironmike
Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician