Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 ford f150 with the 6.2l and im not getting any…

Customer Question
I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 ford f150 with the 6.2l and im not getting any grounds to my injectors or coils. I have power but not ground

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced the crank position sensor and had the pcm checked

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

No it does not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It just cranks thats all it does

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/15/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Your injectors, as well as your coils, get the ground switching signal from the PCM (computer) . Have you checked to see if you have power and ground to the PCM?

No i took off the pcm and sent it off to get checked but it came out good.
Where can i check to see if the grounds and power are arriving

Your power feed pins at the PCM are pins #62, #38, #67 and #68. The ground pins are pins #70, #69 and #50. The pins are located in the Connector C175 B at the PCM. The place to start is to check for power and ground at the PCM if you are sure the PCM checks okay. See the connector view in the link below, the pin numbers are marked to check them. Let start here and we can work from here if need be.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tzd0sdetz863qt/C175%20B%20mar%2015.pdf?dl=0

i can check these with a regular probe light or do i need a multimeter

You can use a probe, or a voltmeter or even a 12-volt test light.

Be sure to check your power pins with the key on and the connector removed from the PCM, check them right at the pins in the connector.

Ok i will go through these steps when i get home today. And these powers and grounds do they come from the junction box in the front

See the wiring diagram for the power source and while you checking the power pins add pins #42 and #
35 .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghkab3lbmn5bl8f/PCM%20wiring%20Mar%2015.pdf?dl=0

Ok ive check all my pins and im not getting power to #67
68 doesnt have power either

Okay, power to these two pins come from the Fuse #33 (15 AMP) which is located in the under hood panel. Check and see if you have power in and out of this fuse.

My fuse #33 is a 40amp fuse

You have the truck listed as a F 150 but the F150 did not come with the 6.2 engine. Are you sure you have the truck size as well as engine size correct?

its a 2011 f150 with the 6.2l raptor engine
It is the limited edition

Okay, that explains it, on the raptor, the pins #67 and pin #68 get the power from the fuse F 75 fuse (15 AMP).

Ok i dont have power on 75-78

What about #67 and #68?

Does the other pcm connector need to be plugged in for those to have power

No, the power feeds the connector.

Fuse 67 and 68 the parklamps and 4x4 module fuses

Where not talking about the fuse, you said you did not have power at the PCM pins 67 and 68.

No no power to those pins or the fuses

Pin 67 and 68 at the PCM get there fuse F75 , is that fuse dead and are you checking the fuse with the key on?

im checking it with the key on and no power to them

Im not sure what them you are referring to but it you mean pins 67 and 68 are dead then they get their power from the fuse F75 and if its dead then that means the problem is with the fuse panel.

Im refering that fuses 75 76 77 78 are all dead

The fuse that power the PCM are fuse F34, F26, F75and F53. If you have 4 dead fuses including the F75 then you have a problem with the fuse panel. Fuse 77 is the cooling fan fuse, fuse 76 is for the MAF sensor, and fuse 78 power the coils. If these are all dead that would sure as hell keep the engine from running.

the fuse panel is not replacesable right it comes with the complete harness

That correct but I think you should see if you can get access to the back side of it and see if there may be a connection you can repair.

Im looking at the fuse box diagram and it looks like all of these fuses get the power from the PCM relay. See the link below. Make me think you have a bad relay.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0atjjztp2bf5ds/PCM%20Mar%2015.pdf?dl=0

thats relay #1

See it in the link below. The PCM relay gets it power from the F34 fuse (40AMP).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0cubju2pa3r2w4/PCM%20relay%20Mar%2015.pdf?dl=0

I think theres a problem with the fuse box i jumped fuse 75 with direct current and the rest of the fuses get power including my connector at the pcm

So you have power at the PCM relay on pins 1,3 and 6. Pin 6 is the power feed out to te dead fuses.

I dont see a pin 6 on your diagram for the relay
According to the diagram i have power in pin 1 and 3

Okay , 6 was a typo on my end, I meant to say pin 5 which is the power feed wire (gray/violet) wire at feeds all the dead fuses you have and there is one splice in that circuit that leaves the fuse box and then goes back in. See if you can find this wire coming in and out of the box and see if you have power on both. This could be a bad splice. Look at the last diagram I sent you and you will see the splice.

Ok i will look for it because i do not have power to pin 5

The splice is coming from pin five . Pin 5 should have power once the PCM grounds the relay .

If you power pin 5 will the truck start?

I cant test it right now i had sent the pcm to get checked and its still hasnt arrived

Okay the PCM relay gets it ground from the PCM on pin 2 and if you have key on power on pins 1 and 3 then 5 should power out and the fuse should show power.

if i jump power to pin 5 i get power in the fuses but i have no ground to pin 2 and according to the diagram that ground comes from the pcm so do i need the pcm to get ground to pin 2

Yes, you will need the PCM in place and connected for it to ground the relay. Sounds to me like we have narrow it down. I wish you had the PCM so we could verify. If the PCM was out all through this testing then the relay would not have have been sending any power out because there was no ground at the relay.

Ok so technically if i do connect the pcm back up and we still dont have any ground then we had a bad pcm

Yes if the relay is still not getting a ground then that is the PCM, the PCM grounds the PCM relay and it need to be grounded to power the dead fuse you have.

what gives the injectors there ground

The injectors are fired by the ground switching signal from the PCM just as the coils are.

when i get the pcm to test it which pin is the one where the ground comes out from the pcm to the injectors

Each injector has its own separate circuit. Its not just one ground.

Ok but i they all come out from the pcm right

Yes, and it not likely that all 8 injectors have a bad circuit.

Even if the pcm is bad it should have some good ones

Yes, the injectors have a driver for each injector and PCM supplies the ground switching signal to each injector.

Ok i have my pcm back and installed. I tried cranking it and it gave a starting system fault message on my display

Have you scanned the computer to see if you have a fault code set?

Im about to go get a scanner to see whats going on.

My first thought is the computer is not reading the key. Get it scanned and let see what the fault code is that should be set .

I had a throttle position code and a transmissin code

Well, neaither one of these should keep it from starting. In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark at the spark plug, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure. Which one are you lacking now?

Still no injector pulse i have good positive just no negative same with the coils no negative. I tried a second key and it had the same results

Well, I have covered everything in our last long post that I can from here. A bad key will keep the injector from firing but will not affect the coils. If the wiring checks oaky as we have covered then that points to a bad PCM.

Do where the pcm sends the grounds out to the injectors so maybe i can test it right out of the pcm

As I told you before, each injector has its own circuit and I sent you the wiring for the injector circuit. Its a ground switching signal from the PCM to each injector. I sent you the wiring diagram for the injector circuit one already. See it again in the link below. Its not very likely that all the injector ground switching signal would be bad.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b8j3lmk82z3n4k/injector%20circuit%20Mar%2019.pdf?dl=0