Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1992 ford f150 Nite with a 5.0 and automatic. When…

I have a 1992...

I have a 1992 ford f150 Nite with a 5.0 and automatic. When running around 35 to 45 mph it is very sensitive to me pressing on the gas pedal. It wants to jump between third and overdrive. Is the transmission going bad? Could it be an adjustment problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It does use an unusual amount of gas. It still starts easily.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything. I usually do my own repairs unless it is over my head.

3/15/2018
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

AOD or E4OD transmission?

I think it is an AOD.

OK thanks.

Are the upshift points still OK or are they a little late? Does it engage forward and reverse a little harder than normal?

It seems to shift fine when going thru the gears. Forward and reverse engages fine without any harshness.

Are you fairly certain it is downshifting to third when the concern happens and not slipping in fourth when accelerating in fourth?

I am certain it is downshifting. The rpms increase and the truck speeds up quickly and then it shifts back to od.

Ok based on all the information provided, I would say there is an issue with the transmission valve body. All up shifts, downshifts and forced downshifts are controlled by throttle valve (TV) pressure and governor pressure. Either input would affect all upshifts and downshifts, TV would also affect engagement feel. There are several prescheduling valves and cutback valves in the valve body that affect individual shift scheduling and sensitivity. I would suspect one of these is sticking or has a broken spring, affecting downshift sensitivity while in fourth gear.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service before you go. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges. Rating my answer positive charges your account the full question value and credits me. Submitting for a refund removes the credit from my account and makes me donate my time and experience for free, which is not my intention. Please only rate positive if you are satisfied and intend on paying for the services you agreed to. Thanks!

What would you suggest trying to resolve my problem?

I would suggest replacing the valve body and then having the TV pressure set up to the new valve body.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Thanks, ***** ***** talk to the person I have to do things that are over my head. This is the same as what he had said was the problem.

Your welcome and best of luck with the repairs!