Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Died at idle no sputter or anything just died,if I let sit…

Second opinion] Died at...

Second opinion] Died at idle no sputter or anything just died,if I let sit for 10 minutes will crank up and run for hours while driving

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

129565 and v10 triton

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Ford?

It's a 1999 ford f250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fuel filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It'll crank and keep cranking but won't fire but 15 minutes later it'll fire right up

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Have you verified fuel pressure yet when it is not starting?

40 psi

OK just to verify, 40 PSI while it is not starting correct?

Correct ,and it doesn't do it all the time I can go days without my truck having a problem and it'll come out of nowhere but let it sit after it not firing it'll start right up

OK, I see this is a second opinion. To add to amedee's response, the next time it wont start we need to do two things. Verify the PCM is online and verify the PCM is seeing crankshaft signal while cranking. So the next time it won't start, verify the check engine light comes on with the key in the run position, then see if it goes out while cranking the engine over. Also see if the tachometer is registering any rpm while cranking. These results will at least tell us if the PCM is online and if there is crank signal present while cranking the engine over. All that is left is injector pulsewidth, since you know for certain there is fuel pressure and spark.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service before you go. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges. Rating my answer positive charges your account the full question value and credits me. Submitting for a refund removes the credit from my account and makes me donate my time and experience for free, which is not my intention. Please only rate positive if you are satisfied and intend on paying for the services you agreed to. Thanks!

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech