Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My fuel pump is not running. I checked the voltage to the…

Customer Question
My fuel pump is...

My fuel pump is not running. I checked the voltage to the pump and it is 6.7 volts. I checked the grounds and the cut off switch with no luck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

The old pump was bad, so I replaced it with a new one. I am still having problems.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1997 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am doing the work myself. I installed a new battery, fuel filter and fuel pump. I am wondering if the new pump is bad so I checked the voltage to the pump and got 6.7 volts. I think somethind is causing a voltage drop and can not find it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/14/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

When you check the voltage at the pump ( pink/black) where you cranking the engine over?

No but the key was on.
No all I need is your suggestion on what to check.

Okay the engine needs to be cranking over in order to get an accurate voltage reading at the pump, can you check is again with a helper cranking the engine over?

My understanding is the pump should run if I have the switch on. I do not have any one at this moment to help me by cranking the engine.

That is not correct when you turn the key on the computer grounds the fuel pump relay to cycle the pump on to build pressure. It then shuts the relay off and waits to see the engine cranking signal and then it turns the relay back on and the pump then runs. To check voltage at the pump and or the inertia switch the engine needs to be cranking over.

Ok I will get someone to help me and then get back to you. Do I just log back in to My-secure.just answer.com to resume conversation?

Yes, log back in and post back on this link and we can work from there.

Thanks

You're very welcome.