Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Smelling gas fumes in car when idling at times and somtimes…

Customer Question
Smelling gas fumes in...

Smelling gas fumes in car when idling at times and somtimes when driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Oops sorry was asking about my Mercury sable start fine .. so far dont seem to be gas hog and no lights come on

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sable?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sable yourself? What have you tried so far?

No have taken to shop and was told that there was going going on not to worry about it Have had this car about 5 years and just started doing that the last couple of years

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have never had a "tune " up just oil changed and things checked out

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/14/2018
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 month ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Gas fumes are always a concern. First check the fuel lines at the fuel rail, then check the injectors for small leaks. If all these are good, then suspect the EVAP system which traps fumes to be leaking and this needs to b tested with a smoke machine.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will be depending on a shop to repair what ever needs fixing

Okay, then tell them what I told you too, so they know you're on top of this and the possibilities.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link in case you have any more questions for me.

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me
My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor