Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When driving with my headlights on and braking like to take…

When driving with my...

When driving with my headlights on and braking like to take a freeway exit, my "Check Gage" lite comes on. I'm researching the possible cause

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

No on fuses. Which bulbs? I recently had the fuel pump replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2004 F350 TurboDiesel 6.0 l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

SP7d*dPt

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I may fix it myself, depending on the problem. The problem just started happening in the last few days

3/14/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Have you noticed any issues with any of the gauges with this fault when the message comes on like any gauges reading incorrectly?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All gauges read normal.

The message comes on when the instrument cluster sees an issue with one of the gauges or components listed below:

Check Gauge Warning Indicator
The check gauge warning indicator will illuminate when any of the three following conditions exist:
- if the engine oil pressure drops below approximately 42 kPa (6 psi).
- if the engine temperature exceeds approximately 121°C (250°F).
- if the transmission temperature (automatic transmission only) reaches approximately 135°C (275°F).

These need to be checked when this light comes on.If the engine oil pressure is low this can be low oil or a fault with the oil pump or pick up tube.This is unlikely the cause since this only occurs when braking.

Engine temp gauge needs to be observed to see if it reads above 250.I suspect this is o.k. since it is not overheating at all

But the transmission temp sensor can act up causing this issue and the temp sensor would need to be replaced.I have seen this as the most common cause of this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Pete, Auto Service Technician