Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 ford f150 battery dies after 1/2 hour of runing,

Customer Question
2004 ford f150 battery dies...
2004 ford f150 battery dies after 1/2 hour of runing , replaced alt battery pcm it idles ruff as well wth po356 code no bat light on and also replaced relay box I'm lost has 14.4 volts while runing ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/14/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The code P0356 usually indicates a misfire on the #6 cylinder. The common cause for this is usually a failing coil. If you swap the #5 coil with the #6 coil does the misfire move?

Do you have 14 volts at the battery when you're checking the running voltage?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No , but I have replace plugs n coils as well , I'm more concernered wth the charge n issue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Truck runs great when first started in am after charge n battery over night , as it runs it progressively runs shittier
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Till 11.9 volts n dies
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have ethos pro scan tool snap on

So if you have charging voltage at the battery then the battery should not be going dead on you. What is the load test voltage on the battery once it stalls?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just clicks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shuts off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The testr

Well, that sure does act like the battery is not charging does it not?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ya but the part I don't get , is I've replaced just about every component ther is , on this

Yea and if you have 14 volts at the battery with the engine running then everything appears to be working. Are you sure your new battery is not defective? I would load test it just to be sure its okay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just replaced it again I have a car lot and it ran for a few and now won't crank
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was showin 14.4

Okay what is your voltage reading at the battery cables if you probe them when it will not crank

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Terminals are clean I read of a tow charge relay? Is that a possibility or gem mod being bad ? If ther is on e on this
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
10.9

10.9 indicates the battery is not getting a charge and even if it was totally dead after starting the engine should stay running with the voltage from the alternator. On a properly working charging system, you should be able to remove the battery cable from the battery and the engine should stay running.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does but can't put in gear or put in drive it dies I've hooked a jump box to it and it killed it as well

Well, that sure sounds like the battery and or the connections to it. The engine should stay running with the battery disconnected if the alternator is actually charging.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I was nt seeing it I wouldt beleive it , the battery had 13.4 volts put it in started truck 1/2 hour like a clock dead do and I checked at lead part of battery is it posible for cluster in the dash be bad . This truck run perfect then this
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Test ed fuse link between alt n battery all good too , could a iac b bad that won't let it idle high enough ?

If the cluster was bad you should have a fault code to go with it and usually, that would keep the alternator from charging. Have you scanned the computer system and if so where there any fault codes setting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll do it now again

It may take a while for any codes to set since you have had the battery disconnected.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
B1318 u1950 , b1352,abs can fault b1360,u1900b2659

The code that sticks out here and can cause the problem you are having and that is the code U1950. The common cause for this code to set is a failing Instrument Cluster. that is likely the cause of the problem you are chasing here as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What should I look for
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is the defi of that code
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
U 1950
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was wondering I had a pcm replaced would that b old code

The code U1950 is UBP Communication Bus Fault with the instrument cluster. You can check this by performing the pinpoint test K. See it in the link below. Start your testing at K1. Any old codes should have been cleared once you disconnected the battery cable.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lo47pbfffs7myoo/Pinpoint%20K%201%20Mar%2014.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cleared codes restarted and have a alarm going off , and codes ares po22,po356,po2104. And p2111
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cluster checks out no codes ,

The code P0022 VCT code and the code P0356 is a coil fault code for the #6 cylinder. The codes P2104 and P2111 are electronic throttle body codes and none of these codes will cause a charging system problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Those are proll frm idle being so low? Idles a 500rpm and runs wth my other truck jump n it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked that coil it has cont on both wires

Try swapping #6 with #5 and see if the misfire moves. If it does then the coil is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did that n no it did't move

Well then if you have power at the coil and a good wire from the #6 driver in the PCM then that would indicate the driver in your replacement PCM has failed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
both sides should not have 12v,
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shoul I ground one side ?

No the red/green wire is the power feed and the orange/yellow wire is the ground switching signal from the PCM to fire the coil.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No pulse n

Okay, ohm check the orange/yellow wire from the coil to the PCM on pin #15 and if it checks okay then the PCM is at fault. Makes me wonder if that is also the cause of the stalling you are having.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok the only thing I keep getting is po22 and po1119 and p0356
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got power to pcm The coil has spark looks constant plug was black changed n still code came back lol this is the biggest pos I ever owned !

Well if the spark plug is black then that usually means it's not firing. The one other thing that can keep the cylinder from firing would be low compression on that cylinder. Would be worth checking.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician