Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 E-450 Ford have no headlights when I turn them on, also…

2006 E-450 Ford have no...
2006 E-450 Ford have no headlights when I turn them on, also when I turn them off the running lights stay on untilI disconnect battery, then when I connect battery back up they stay off until I try lights again? did install new headlight switch still the same
3/14/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Can you tell me what liter engine is in your model?

Let me know,thanks Pete

6.8

Do you have a test light or multi meter to test electrical at all?

see I have it all

Can you gain access to the back of the light switch to do some electrical testing with the switch still plugged in?

i HAVE RIGHT OUT OF DASH

O.k., with the head lights switched on test and see if you have power on the red wire with yellow stripe.Let me know.

Thanks Pete

Pete,I don't
Pete if this helps I got power on tan+white, orange+green, blue + orange with switch off for lights

Locate fuse 14 ( 30 amp ) in the battery junction panel fuse box and see if it is good.If it is test to see if it has power on it at all times key on or off.Let me know.

Thanks Pete

hope you meant fuse 15, and it has power both ways

I apologize as I did mean fuse 15.

if it has power test the blue/orange wire at the switch for power and let me know.Do this with the switch off and switched on.

blue/ orange power on or off

Was this a new head light switch you installed or used one?If new was it factory or after market?

new aftermarket BWD

Power comes into this switch on the blue/orange wire than with headlights on power is sent out on the red/yellow wire.If you have power in but no power out when the head light is switched on this indicates the new head light switch is faulty needing replaced again.I have seen new parts out of the package faulty needing replaced again under parts warranty.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete even if I unplug headlight switch running lights are on, when I disconnect battery that just connect it lights stay off

Have you followed the wiring from the switch to see if any shorted wiring is seen or any melted connections?

no

O.k., looking at the diagrams this sounds to be a wiring fault here.Follow the wiring leading from the switch to see if any issues are found.If no issues are found with the wiring let me know.

Thanks Pete

Pete can you tell what light Brown/ white wire is for because it also has power with switch unplug
also orange / green same way

That brown/white is the power input feed for the park lights.It sends power to the head light switch at all times then when the head light switch is switched on to the park light position it sends power out on the brown wire to the park lights.

What position is the orange/green wire in in the connector?

PETE D1 on headlight switch

That looks like that is power in for interior back light signal from what I see.I did find a switch test diagram.Unplug the switch and test the switch side connection for resistance between the terminals shown to see if the new switch you installed is faulty.If the switch tests out o.k. then I would trace and inspect the wiring for any issues needing to be repaired.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ve6ieiiun3pmm44/head-03-14.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Pete

one last question Pete, what side does the wires come down from cab lights, I beleive I found the short

That is great to hear you may have located the short.Unfortunately my info is not showing what side these wires run down on the cab.You will have to follow them to see if you can see how they run to then trace out and locate and repair this short.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician