Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Clutch started acting up, think the fluid may be low.

Customer Question
Clutch started acting up...

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Started with grinding in reverse, now have to shut vehicle off to change gears.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1999 f350 5.4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Looking to make sure I use the proper fluid.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
Checked fluid level - O.K.
Vehicle had been mostly sitting, this was after 300 miles in 24hrs.
3/14/2018
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

How does the pedal feel? Does it have a lot of free play?

Pedal feels good. Not spongy or low.
the clutch works once in gear. When I start it in gear with the clutch down, it wants to move a bit. Then operates normally. Weak master/slave or bent clutch fork?

It sounds like the fork is bent or bowing when you depress it. Also the pilot bearing in the flywheel could be binding. Do you hear any odd noise when you press the clutch? I have also seen the release bearing cause this but it will usually make noise. Since it is an older truck, have someone press the clutch and then you look at the firewall where the master cylinder is mounted,see if the firewall is flexing due to age. Have to go to work,you can contact me later if you like.

One last thing a warped pressure or clutch plate will also give you this problem.

Try bleeding the clutch first to see if the master or slave cylinders are letting air into the system.